[Frameworks] BOLEX H16 "Super 16mm" lens options.

Isaac Brooks isaacbrooks22 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 16:56:03 UTC 2014

Hi Mark,

If you do mean the Vario Switar 16-100 POE zoom, I had the same experience.
Wide end of the zoom vignettes and f-stop range is a bit more limited. I
did, I think, also find try that same Schneider and it performed about the
same as a Kern 10mm Switar would have, with some cut-off in the corners,
and the loss of speed. I sold it promptly. That said, it wasn't terrible,
meaning if you edit in FCP and simply need a passible wide lens, there are
ways to crop and to get around the unwanted effects. Not ideal, I know, but
possible. I know folks who buy later versions of the 10mm Switar so that
their optics are nice as possible, and then deal with its effects by using
it carefully for certain shots, and simply anticipating for the affect.

I used to have a late model a Bolex factory converted camera. It was used
on a friend's film shoot that had previously been done on an S16 Arri SR,
and the Bolex was charged with getting a whole lot of pickup footage for
what was eventually a pretty long movie, at least half of which was the
Bolex. I had a POE lens whose 25-100mm focal range we used pretty
successfully. Results optically matched for the most part, and the Bolex
really shined next to the footage shot by the ubiquitous SR.

Andrew Alden established in his "Bolex Bible" that the POE lens was
actually a pretty viable solution to the SUPER-lens-on-Bolex-problem, and
that one enhancement that made the lens an even better option was
modification, for what might be called "better use with Super 16", meaning
that the work done would allow for slightly better zoom range and maybe
less loss of speed/f-stop range. David also mentioned Bernie O'Doherty, who
would be a good person to ask about this. This may been a mod that was a
popular solution in the UK at the time of Andrew's writing (1990s) but that
might not be worth the trouble. Never heard of it being done by any friends
or colleagues. That said, the POE should come to you at less than $500 now
a days (in case your using one of the older zoom, in which case, upgrade to
the POE for sure).

It's a really thorny area with Bolexs. Sounds like you have an SBM or SB or
EBM Bolex (key component being the "b" for bayonet, per David's
observation). Theoretically the large mount Bolexs are more viable options
for S16 because of that mount's robust adaptability. Les Bosher used to
advertise a huge amount of adapters and PL upgrades for the Bolex in order
to use lenses meant for more advanced 16mm/S16mm/35mm systems. That stuff
is probably not of interest given the higher cost.

With all those other lens options that come in c-mount, you really just
have to test them. BUT, what David said about Kern lenses being slightly
different c-mount examples is a big thing, and also, the mount on some
C-mount lenses does stick out further than on the approved Kern ones, and
can hit the prism on the camera. Measure the threaded mount to make sure
this won't happen.

The 26mm Switar Macro and the 75mm variant of the same both do cover S16
perfectly, and are also both really desirable lenses for every other reason
(speed, optical brilliance etc). As far and theoretically sound options go,
they're sort of the best option still for primes. Again, I'm just
mentioning them in case you're less familiar with their luster. They are
hard to find, and costly when found. However, I think they're worth it.
Glass is a big part of any system or format, and if you make work that you
submit around, and want to really tackle S16 for later blow-up or hi-res
transfer, the 26mm may be worth making room for someday :)

Aside from that, I'd recommend the Vario Switar POE, if you happen to not
have that one already. It does sort of work. It also seems like folks have
offered some nice resources for lenses that definitely work, more so than
what I just wrote.

Good luck,

IB