[Frameworks] Did Kodak almost stop making all film?

John Woods jawoods01 at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 1 19:23:31 UTC 2014

Fred,

there is a very detailed & technical book that was written and self published by a former Kodak employee:http://www.makingkodakfilm.com/

Its presently out of print, unfortunately. However, it is pretty deep on the tech and is not a light read. There are also several older books that go into detail about film emulsion creation. I don't know any titles off hand but you might come across more information about these on analog photographers forums. My understanding is most of those books are at least 30+ years old and were pretty small press runs for a laboratory community.

There is also The Disappearance of Darkness: http://darkness.robertburley.com/

Which is a coffee table book by a photographer who documented the closing of various industry buildings around the world. The book is mainly of photos of abandoned buildings and demolitions but has several good essays and each section has a short description of the history and purposes of the buildings. Kodak, Ilford and Agfa each have sections. The writing is in laymen terms and clearly outlines the relationship between film and mass industry.

Its pretty interesting and after reading it, its hard to see much of a future for cinematic use of film. Particularly colour stocks which are much more demanding to make. Black & white might survive as an artist and hobbyist medium, Ilford is able to produce short runs of their stock, and their business was boosted when Kodak abandoned photo paper. IIRC Ilford made 16mm in the distant past, maybe when Kodak stops producing B&W film, they will get into 16mm.

I say shoot what you can afford and enjoy it while it lasts :)

John