[Frameworks] films using the optical printer

Stefan Grabowski stefan at radonlake.com
Wed Aug 6 19:48:29 UTC 2014

Bruce Baillie's 'Castro Street' has some really beautiful optical printing work.

From: bigmuddy2005 at hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:32:24 -0600
To: frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] films using the optical printer

This is a great list! Barbara Hammer would be a good addition

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 6, 2014, at 1:29 PM, "Jason Halprin" <jihalprin at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Carolyn,

Below is the screening list from the last time I taught Optical Printing at Columbia College. I agree that Pat O'Neill is probably the greatest example of Optical Printing artistry, and include much of his work is available for purchase in DVD form. However, I would also stress that it was amazing to take the prints of his work and view them on rewinds with a light table so that students could really study how he created his "looks". I love Water and Power too, and usually saved it until the last class in the semester.

-Jason Halprin

DAILY SCHEDULE

Class 01 – January 25th
Screening:       Pas de deux (Norman McLaren, 13 min,
1968)

Class 02- February 1stScreening:       Passage à l'acte (Martin Arnold, 15
min., 1993)

Class 03- February 8thScreening:       Piece Touche (Martin Arnold, 15
min., 1989)

                        Zocalo
(Richard Myers, 15 min, 1972)

                        Spitting Image (Paula
Froehle, 3 min., 1992)

Class 04- February 15thScreeing:         7362 (Pat O’Neill, 10 min, 1967)

                        Roseblood (Sharon Couzin,
7 min., 1974)

Class 05- February 22nd
Screening:       Watersmith
(Will Hindle, 25 min, 1969)

                        Film
Wipe Film (Paul Glabicki, 32 min, 1984)

Class 06
Screening:       Wild Gunman (Craig Baldwin, 20 min,
1978)

                        Television Assassination
(Bruce Conner, 14 min, 1964/95)

                        Cosmic Ray (Bruce Conner,
4 min, 1961)

Class 07- March 8th

Screening:       Alone, Life Wastes Andy Hardy
(Martin Arnold, 15 min, 1998)

                        Flicker: Unsteady Motion
(Paula Frohele, 7 min, 1995)

Class 08- March 15thScreening:       Frame (Ken Kobland, 10 min, 1976)

                        Vestibule (Ken Kobland,
24 min, 1979)

Class 09- March 29th

Screening:       Chinese Fire Drill (Will Hindle, 25
min, 1968)

                        Runs Good (Pat O’Neill,
15 min, 1970)

Class 10- April 5thScreening:       Elasticity (Chick Strand, 25 min,
1976)

                        Babobilicons (Dana
Krummins, 18 min, 1982)

Class 11- April 12th

Screening:       Nocturne (Phil Solomon, 10 min,
1980)

                        Remains to be Seen (Phil
Solomon, 17 min, 1989)

Class
12- April 19th
Screening:       The
Idea (Bill Knowland, 20 min, 1990)

Class 13- April 26th
Screening:       Milk
and Honey (Kate McCabe, 17 min, 2004)

                        Montessori
Sword Fight (Mary Beth Reed, 7 min, 2002)

Class 14- May 3rd
Screening:       Water
and Power (Pat O’Neill, 54 min, 1989)

Jason Halprin