[Frameworks] Duart Vault in the NY Times

Dominic Angerame dominic.angerame at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:00:22 UTC 2014

I have heard this complaint for decades from filmmakers who have their
originals stored in Du Art. This includes Sandy Daley who could not
retrieve her original 16mm negs of Robert Having His Nipple Pierced. In the
late 80's Du Art (the supposed Rolls Royce of Labs) wanted to charge her a
fortune to retrieve her negatives. I do not know whatever the outcome was.
This is part of Du Art's legacy I do not think that history will miss this
place.

Holding original experimental films for ransom is unforgivable no matter
who the filmmaker is. The $200k should have been used to investigate those
negatives that belong to the cinema art world.

Dominic