[Frameworks] B&H Seiki wet gate 16>16 and 16>35mm blow up printer available in Mumbai, INDIA

Bernd Luetzeler filmi at gmx.de
Mon Dec 8 16:42:21 UTC 2014

Dear Frameworkers,

A couple of days ago I visited my favorite lab in Mumbai, Rauko Cine Lab.
They are now shutting down on 31st of december.
All equipments will be scrapped, unless someone will take it and pay for all occurring expenses,
as there are: professional disassembling, packaging, shipping, custom fees etc…

Amongst all the stuff that goes to the Scrapyard, there is one machine, which is in quite good condition
and has been used until recently, so it’s definitely running well.

It’s a Seiki DHP-1A automatic additive color high speed step optical motion picture printer with liquid gate and support system.

It can copy from 35mm to 16mm
from 35mm to 35mm
from 35mm cinemascope to 70(65)mm
from 16mm to 16mm
from 16mm to Super-8 (reduction only! Not blow-up!)
from 16mm to 35mm

It can be operated in room light, the filmstock is in a magazine.

So the WET GATE magic is: Not only dust will vanish in the copying process, but also scratches.
Rauko has done tons of Blow-ups for me on this machine, and the results were quite stunning.
But this definitely needs a lot of experience, especially since you can adjust the color filters from cut-to-cut on a floppy disc.
But for that you would have to do the grading on a color analyzer - or tweak numbers manually on the floppy.

The machine will move the image source and the stock in sync, but it doesn’t have the capacities of a full fledged optical printer,
to move framewise back and forth independently. You would probably operate one side manually in order to do that…
It is also not built to take 2 filmstrips sandwiched into the gate (as done in masking in optical printers).

Today they were looking for the Super-8 parts but they couldn’t find them, and since they were never required in India,
they might not exist - or they might as well be found later in some other corner of the lab…

This machine later got sold through Bell&Howell and can be found on page 19 in this catalogue:
http://www.filmlabs.org/docs/BH_printers.pdf

Please find pics attached.

So, if anyone is interested in this machine, he or she would have to get in touch with the lab directly
and negotiate about the whole procedure of disassembling, packaging and shipping.
They told me a rough number that shipping alone to Europe could cost 2000 Euros.
Plus the disassembling work, plus customs and so on...
Also: time is running. Rauko will start the scrapping soon, and they need a signal from our side within 7 days.

I can help establishing the contact with the people from Rauko, but anything else is up to you.
Shipping costs may tremendously differ from the figures mentioned above.
I have no clue how rare this machine is and whether it’s worth going all the way, but in order to get this organized properly,
I would recommend to take a flight to Mumbai and be here while the machine gets dismantled and packed.
I guess this is all I can do to find a new home for this beauty...

regards

Bernd

Bernd Lützeler
+49.172.394.7635