[Frameworks] call for proposals: Were the Eye Not Sunlike

Third Object thirdobjectthirdobject at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:01:02 UTC 2014

*Call for Work: Were the Eye Not Sunlike*
Curated by Third Object <http://thirdobject.net>

*[image: Inline image 1]*

*Were the eye not sunlike, how could we behold light?**
                                                                         –
Goethe, Zur Farbenlehre*

*Were the Eye Not Sunlike *is an ACRE TV <http://www.acretv.org> program to
take place in April of 2015. Inspired by the long dark winters in Chicago,
this program and parallel exhibition focus on the sun at a time when it is
missed the most, moments before springtime. As an object that is both
illuminating and unseeable, the experience of the Sun is dominated by
metaphor and myth. *Were the Eye Not Sunlike* channels the mythologization
of the Sun and our relationship to its immeasurable power. This program
studies light, color, optics, daily routine and mysticism through a close
examination of the sun.

The two month ACRE TV program will be structured into three separate
programs whose framework relies on the sun’s progress throughout one day:
*Sunrise*, *High Noon* and *Sunset*. We are accepting submissions for each
of the three parts.

Part One, *Sunrise*, conjures ideas of ritual, intimacy, latent potential,
stillness, crispness and quiet, and its associated programing will reflect
these more inward states.

Part Two, *High Noon*, transitions into the full experience of solar warmth
with a program revolving around optical possibilities, high contrast, light
studies, and color.

Part Three, *Sunset*, enacts the twilight haziness that signals the end of
the earth-bound day. Melancholy, impending darkness, the green flash, and
terrible beauty will conclude the program.

   - *Proposals due by 11:59pm February 1st, 2015.*
   - We will notify you on the status of your proposal by February 15th,
   2015. ­
   - File delivery for accepted proposals due March 15th, 2015.
   - *Were the Eye Not Sunlike *will air from April 1st to May 31st, 2015.

Please respond to this form to submit:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MvIuWSF78liSHLHtTPxiDolsuA6wa4o6csyQxwe73-c/viewform

More information about ACRE TV may be found at www.acretv.org. Past
exhibitions curated by Third Object may be found at www.thirdobject.net.