[Frameworks] portraits

Bernard Roddy roddybp at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 20:55:16 UTC 2014

Earlier I remarked on my ignorance of the art of Arnulf Rainer, knowing the name only as the title of a Kubelka film.  Last week I discovered a chapter on his work (self-portrait) in Christine Buci-Glucksmann's The Madness of Vision: on baroque aesthetics (Ohio University, 2013).  But it is interesting to see the uses an artist can be put to.  For example, "Anachronic Grosseteste: Frampton, Irwin, and the Medium of Moving Light," by Luke A. Fidler, affiliated with Northwestern University, was a paper on Hollis Frampton presented at a College Art Association session yesterday.  The writer apparently has a degree in Medieval scholarship, and in the course of his paper offered a critique, if we can call it that, of the artist's use of Medieval sources.  We were even shown via PowerPoint Frampton's translation of some Latin text.  It was strange to hear about Frampton in this context, where nothing ever moves on screen, but it was important to the
 speaker that Frampton be identified as a kind of giant.  The reputation of the artist served the interests of the speaker, and the paper really sucked.

Bernie