[Frameworks] sound track collaboration

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 22:51:00 UTC 2014

To Michael and anyone else seeking music for any kind of film:

I highly recommend Kevin MacLeod's website http://incompetech.com/ on which Kevin offers a wide variety of his compositions in many genres, royalty-free. Not only is Kevin gracious enough to make all this stuff available for nada, he's also been willing to accommodate reasonable requests if you ask nicely (e.g. deleting a MIDI voice or two from one of his existing pieces in order to make a more simple background sans embellishment).

My experience working with 'composers' to create original scores has not been at all positive. They tend to do "their own thing" and I tend to gag at the result. But then you're stuck with hurt feelings, "I did all this work JUST for you..." One of my friends commissioned his brother (an accomplished professional classical musician) to write a score for a film. He paid for it, too. The resulting music didn't work with the piece at all, so my friend had to ditch it (I heard it, he really HAD to...) This called a major family brouhaha, with angst that trailed on for years.

Far better in most cases to see if Kevin has anything that works for your piece. YOU get to pick, and he's happy to get a credit no matter which of his works you might choose. Everybody wins. And did I mention that it's free?