[Frameworks] Films made with Canon Scoopic 16mm camera

Steve Polta steve.polta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:30:40 UTC 2014

Mark LaPore was a stalwart advocate of the Canon Scoopic and sang its
praises to me one day long ago, describing it as basically a pumped up
Super-8 camera (specifically a pumped up Canon 814-XLS): basically the
thing is--unlike e.g. the Bolex and other 16mm cameras) a portable
self-contained unit--automatic in-the-camera light metering, permanently
attached zoom/macro lens and--best of all for LaPore (and for me) battery
powered and thereby capable of long takes, up to the length of the 16mm
roll (a little over three minutes). It's my understanding that most if not
all of Mark LaPore's 16mm films were shot using this camera including *A
Depression in the Bay of Bengal*, *The Five Bad Elements*, *The Glass
System*, *The Sleepers*, *Kolkata*. Many (well, three) of these are
available from Canyon Cinema:
http://canyoncinema.com/catalog/filmmaker/?i=188