[Frameworks] question about fees for permission to use material

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Thu Feb 20 22:38:49 UTC 2014

I recently asked the Los Angeles Times for permission to reprint a couple of photos. They said they have them, but they were “handouts”  that were not taken by a Times photographer, and they don’t know who did take them, or where they came from, so therefore I can’t have them. In other words, not having a legal right to grant permission to copy apparently does confer the right to withhold the things from the world forever.