[Frameworks] question about fees for permission to use material

Daniel Wilson dan at bartolifilm.com
Fri Feb 21 03:14:25 UTC 2014

To add to David Tetzlaff's comments, first...I wholeheartedly agree. In
addition to Fair Use though, look up and read specifically about the
concept of "derivative work". Classic example: Andy Warhol takes the
Campbell's Soup or Brillo "branding" AS IS...but by recontextualizing it,
he creates a derivative work. As first read of the description of your
project, it sounds a lot more like this would fall specifically into the
derivative work category, making an even stronger case for fair use.
Because it's a derivative work...you're basically taking the idea of the
article and deriving NEW fixed and tangible context/content, making YOU the
owner should any gallery owner want to see the releases. Your work, your
release to exhibit.

Now, that being said, I'm not a lawyer, caveat emptor, disclaimer
disclaimer disclaimer, blah, blah, blah. But if it comes to having a lawyer
friend review stuff for you, derivative works would be the sub-category of
fair use that'll best CYA as I understand what you're trying to do.

--
Dan Wilson. INTJ. Art. Music. Film.
Bartoli Filmworks - Milwaukee, WI

"Don't be trapped by dogma -- which is living with the results of other
people's thinking." -Steve Jobs