[Frameworks] Turner and Film

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Thu Feb 27 08:55:12 UTC 2014

Moire evidence for Brakhage.  About 15 years ago he had a show at the University of Oregon.  Part of his lecture and presentation involved him talking about Turner and showing at least one slide to make his point (about light and sky, as I remember).  At a meal afterwards the conversation returned to Turner and Stan was quite clear and detailed about which London museums had which Turners, which collection was better, etc. etc.  Clearly it wasn't just a casual knowledge but one deeply thought about, knowledge gained in those galleries by directly encountering the art work.  Which sort of summarizes what he himself stood for, I think: directly confronting and experiencing an artwork in all its full presence.  Certainly the best pathway into any of his films.

Chuck Kleinhans