[Frameworks] One for the tech wizzards

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:40:52 UTC 2014

Yes, the function still exists. It's part of the DVD spec. It's just that almost no one makes use of it. Still, every DVD remote I've seen has a function to change the video angle. It just does nothing because the discs only have one angle available.

To create a multi-angle DVD, you would just need authoring software that's capable of doing so.

DVD Studio Pro will do it. From the DVDSP manual:

> About Alternate Stream Video Assets
> If you want to switch between video streams while the DVD is playing, the DVD specification sets some restrictions on the alternate streams. They must be in the same MPEG format and have the exact same GOP structure as the main stream. It is strongly recommended that you use the same encoder for all streams to ensure they match exactly.
> For multi-angle tracks, all streams, including the main one, must be the exact same length.

Other authoring software may do this as well (Adobe Encore??), but I only know DVDSP and other less sophisticated programs that WON'T do what you want.

Also note that having two video streams means putting basically double the data on the disc. So, if you had a 90 minute concert, that would means three hours of video on the disk, requiring a pretty high compression rate for a DVD5. If the piece is 60 minutes of less, the 120 minutes of video would probably look fine compressed to fit on a DVD5. If longer, I'd go with DVD9 (e.g. 8.4GB DVD+R DL).

hope that helps.

djt