[Frameworks] Weapons and the military in avant-garde cinema?

John McAndrew jj.mcandrew at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 20:49:51 UTC 2014

Hello all,

For a little under a year my main source of income has come through working
as a gallery warden in a historical museum specializing in arms and armour
(it's a questionable place to work in admittedly, but anyway...). Recently
the museum's cinema space has become freely available to staff members to
use on evenings whenever it's available and given both the digital and
potential film projection facilities available, and the cinema itself being
housed in quite a unique location, I've been pondering over the idea of
independently programming a selection of experimental/underground/artists'
films and videos that ties together the "avant-garde" as we commonly know
it with its original military terminology. Either way, it would make a
refreshing change to the current programming decisions of showing Hollywood
war and action films that everyone has seen a hundred times over...

Can anyone on FrameWorks offer any suggestions for moving image works -
both new or old, landmark or obscure, abstract or representative - that may
explore such vanguard themes? Or know of any existing curated screenings or
written texts that have also explored this connection? I'm open to hearing
any and all suggestions for works involving the military and armed forces,
weapon technology (firearms, explosives, swords etc), armour, combat
and self-defence, historical battles or wars (maybe even fictional ones
too), appropriated war/training films, critiques of the armed forces,
militias, laws involving the right to keep and bear arms, etc etc etc...

Many thanks for reading!

Best,
John