[Frameworks] Tripod for Arri S

Steven steven at gladstonefilms.com
Wed Jan 29 05:27:29 UTC 2014

Jeff, Your digressions are better than my on the topics.

I'm in the Web content division where I work - I write up product
descriptions, and the occasional article. Any opinions I express here
are of course my own, and not my employers.

Separated from wife, needed a stable job and stable schedule. Have to
work anything else in around that. I did some shooting on a doc and a
short film, so I can make the schedule work between full time job and
Kids, but it is a stretch.

Please let me know next time you come to NY, I'd love to actually meet
you one day.

Oh yeah, once in Africa I forgot the Headphones were still attached to
the Nagra, man those machines were tough. Glad that I'm not the only one
whose done that sort of thing.

The director and cameraman never stopped talking the whole shoot, and
that was when I decided camera was a better position than sound.

Best

On 1/28/14 11:56 PM, Jeff Kreines wrote:
> Steven:
>
> Didn’t know you were at B&H.  What department?
>
> The Arri grip was plastic, and had a 3/8-16 thread, and an activator
> rod that pushed a switch in the base of the Arri 8.  Which was pretty
> silly, since the 16S held better using the built in thumb-grip and
> viewfinder tube (with prime lenses).
>
> These grips held well, fit the hand nicely, and were used by
> Pennebaker in his early rigs.  Of course they had the problem of being
> plastic.  Penny famously (after unknowingly ingesting some wine laced
> with acid at the Monterey Pop festival) put his camera on a table and
> walked away, forgetting the camera was tied to his battery belt.  The
> camera smashed on the floor, and the grip broke off.  Penny shot
> Hendrix using the short stub of a handgrip that remained.  My first
> Auricon with CP motor had a version cast from that grip out of aluminum.
>
> But as usual I digress.
>

> Jeff Kreines
> Kinetta
> jeff at kinetta.com <mailto:jeff at kinetta.com>
> kinetta.com
> kinettaarchival.com
>

> On Jan 28, 2014, at 9:06 PM, Dominic Angerame
> <dominic.angerame at gmail.com <mailto:dominic.angerame at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and back on topic - If I recall, and it has been a while, there
>> is something special about the bottom of the Arri S, something about
>> a handle or support that would send a rod up into the bottom of the
>> camera, starting it when you pressed the trigger. I think it was
>> through the 3/8"-16 threaded mounting hole (got to be a better term
>> for it). Perhaps I misremember and it was the IIC.
>
> Jeff Kreines
> Kinetta
> jeff at kinetta.com <mailto:jeff at kinetta.com>
> kinetta.com