[Frameworks] shooting 16mm film in israel

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Mon Jul 7 23:25:12 UTC 2014

It's a good idea to plan ahead and notify Ben
Gurion airport customs what you will be bringing
in. Then they can expect you and walk you
through. An ATA Carnet will make it easier to
move things in and out.
You can try the same with airport security at
your departing airport in order to make it easier
to go through security. If you are changing
planes somewhere though it may be hard to predict
and arrange for checks at that airport.
For sure you should hand carry the film stock and
glue the attached stickers onto your film cans
(courtesy of L'Abominable in Paris) - airport
security doesn't know much about film but they
know not to let film over 2000 ASA through the
machine.
In 1984 my dad and I carried a suitcase of 16mm
film to Israel for a shoot and they x-rayed it in
Paris - we could see the reels on the screen. We
had a few feet of each roll fog-checked in a lab
at Tel Aviv but luckily it was OK. Now there are
no film labs in Israel. Unless you are bringing
your own chemicals, you will have to bring the
stock back out to develop it and you will not be
able to check it when you arrive.
-Pip