[Frameworks] mov files from avid (pc) for quicktime projection (mac)

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Tue Jul 15 21:41:05 UTC 2014

"Same as source" means that your footage is encoded with the same
codec as your original footage, or perhaps the intermediate editing
codec you've chosen in your timeline/sequence.

H.264 is actually your best option for festivals. The contrast issue
is a bug in some versions of Quicktime and VLC for Windows. It
happens because some "clever" broadcast engineers decided that the
range of an 8-bit channel should be from 16 to 235, instead of the
full range from 0 to 255. The encoder is supposed to restrict video
levels to 16-235 ("Studio IRE") at export time, and the decoder is
supposed to expand those levels back to 0-255 at playback time. But
sometimes the decoder does not expand the levels, and you get dark
gray "blacks" and light gray "whites".

On Windows you can fix this playback issue through the NVIDIA control
panel (if you've got it). But it's almost certain that the venue will
be playing back on OS X. Provided that the OS and Quicktime are up to
date on that system, then your levels will be displayed correctly.

If you really don't trust H.264, then you can export to DNxHD, but
there's an extremely low probability that your festival can actually
play this back. The Animation codec is lossless if you crank the
quality up to 100%, but then the file sizes are ginormous.

Bottom line: encode to H.264 at the bitrate appropriate to your
format, and take it on faith that it will play back with the correct
levels. I've been through this a zillion times; video editing on
Windows is still markedly inferior to OS X, even after decades.

Aaron