[Frameworks] Witch's Cradle in This Week in AG Cinema

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Mon Jul 21 18:46:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

I checked with Bruce Checefsky, who spent two years researching this work
before making his version of Witch¹s Cradle.  He said that interviews,
particularly with Alexander Hammid, make it clear that what is in the
Anthology collection are the outtakes from Witch¹s Cradle, not the edited
film.

Per Checefsky: Deren felt that the edited film was never finished.  She had
two prints of her work print made, one for herself and one for Duchamp.  The
whereabouts of both of these are unknown, and they are currently considered
lost.  As such, the statement "an unfinished, now lost 1943 short² is
accurate.

For those who are curious, some of these outtakes from Witch¹s Cradle are
currently on You Tube at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9z6_DA-tqU
There are clearly multiple takes, and so forth.  But I do not know if this
is what was screened in Los Angeles or at Anthology as referenced below.

Best regards,

Adam

--
Adam Hyman