[Frameworks] film undone series

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Sun Jun 1 15:49:03 UTC 2014

Joan,

The film that immediately came to my mind is Robert Nelson's Bleu Shut ('71). It begins by announcing that it will be exactly 30 minutes long, putting a clock in the corner of the screen that stays there for the duration. It actually runs to about 34 minutes; in the final scene, Nelson, in negative, speaks into the camera about his intentions for making the film, but has difficulty articulating his thoughts, in part because he claims to keep hearing a strange noise from the camera. In the midst of Nelson trying to deal with this, the film ends unexpectedly. Hilarious and brilliant film, and certainly lacking a logical ending.

Hope to get to Bloomington to see this!
Best,
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley