[Frameworks] kodachrome 2 exp. 1975 kodachrome II

Kevin Rice kevin at processreversal.org
Fri Mar 7 19:00:30 UTC 2014

Hello Johannes & Milena,

There's no secret to it -- Kodachrome, like any modern mono-pack color film
stock, is three layers of spectrally sensitized silver gelatin (i.e. black
and white) emulsions. Any of these stocks can be processed as black and
white negative or reversal using whatever developer you desire, including
color developers in the case of Kodachrome which has no dye couplers to
bond with the oxidized agents of a color developer. Really, the only
"adjustment" one might make to the process is the addition of bromide (e.g.
potassium bromide [KBr]) to the developer of your choice in an attempt to
restrain some of the inevitable fogging that will occur due to the films
age. For now, though, I won't go into detail about this particular
procedure as it's a long discussion concerning how the film was stored, how
old it is, how it was exposed, etc...but what I will say is that we
recently processed a roll of expired super-8 Kodachrome II (Type A) as B&W
negative using an unmodified D-19 recipe @ 38 degrees Celsius across 4
minutes with a standard agitation profile, and it gave good results. After
development, just fix to completion and remove the RemJet in the same way
as with your K40 and K25 films...

Hope this helps!

Kevin Rice
processreversal.org