[Frameworks] This week [March 22 - 30, 2014] in avant garde cinema

Weekly Listing weeklylisting at hi-beam.net
Sat Mar 22 18:12:25 UTC 2014

This week [March 22 - 30, 2014] in avant garde cinema

To subscribe/unsubscribe to the weekly listing, go to
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/mailto.pl?mailto=subscribe
or send an email to weeklylisting at hi-beam.net.

Enter your announcements (calls for entries, new work, screenings,
jobs, items for sale, etc.) at:

http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl

ITEM FOR SALE:
=============
A Noisy Delivery
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=sale&readfile=38.ann

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
=====================
The Journal of Short Film Volume 33 (Columbus,
Ohio, USA; Deadline: March 28, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1680.ann
The Journal of Short Film Volume 34 (Columbus,
Ohio, USA; Deadline: May 02, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1681.ann
WNDX Festival of Moving Image (Winnipeg,
Manitoba, Canada; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1682.ann
ARTErra residency (Tondela (portugal); Deadline: April 15, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1683.ann
Antimatter [Media Art] (Victoria, BC, Canada; Deadline: July 25, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1684.ann
Ottawa Internaitonal Animation Festival (Ottawa,
ON, Canada; Deadline: May 18, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1685.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
=====================
Winnipeg Underground Film Festival (Winnipeg, MB,
Canada; Deadline: March 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1651.ann
Home Grown Shorts (Boston, MA, USA; Deadline: March 22, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1667.ann
the PICTURE show (Brooklyn, NY, USA; Deadline: March 24, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1671.ann
CrabbyClips Film Fest (Owings Mills, MD; Deadline: April 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1672.ann
VIDEO ART FESTIVAL MIDEN (Kalamata, Greece; Deadline: March 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1676.ann
Cinecity 2014 (Worldwise; Deadline: April 04, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1677.ann
ANIMATOR International Animated Film Festival
(Poznan, Poland; Deadline: March 24, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1678.ann
Forbidden Film Festival (Austin, TX; Deadline: April 15, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1679.ann
The Journal of Short Film Volume 33 (Columbus,
Ohio, USA; Deadline: March 28, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1680.ann
ARTErra residency (Tondela (portugal); Deadline: April 15, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1683.ann

THIS WEEK'S PROGRAMS (SUMMARY):
==============================
  *  Broken Beauty: A Show About Glitch [March 22, Atlanta, Georgia]
  *  Stephanie Barber's Jhana and the Rats of
James Olds [March 22, Austin, Texas]
  *  Fmc Presents Films By Anja Czioska At
Spectacle [March 22, Brooklyn, New York]
  *  New Works Salon [March 22, Los Angeles, California]
  *  James Broughton Program 1 [March 22, New York, New York]
  *  Big Joy [March 22, New York, New York]
  *  Zizek: the Pervert's Guide To Ideology
[March 22, San Francisco, California]
  *  David Rimmer I: Surfacing [March 22, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
  *  Collaboration With Nature: Films Made With
Natural Processes  [March 22, Tucson, AZ]
  *  Ontological Mystery Cinema! [March 23, Austin, TX]
  *  A Spell To Ward off the Darkness [March 23, Cambridge, Massachusetts]
  *  James Broughton Program 2 [March 23, New York, New York]
  *  Big Joy [March 23, New York, New York]
  *  David Rimmer ii: Variations [March 23, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
  *  F.P. Boué - Building Blocks: Maillart From
the Ground [March 24, Brooklyn, New York]
  *  White Cube/Black Box: John Baldessari,
Brakhage & Fisher [March 24, New York, New York]
  *  Farewell Ve(Ra: Daisies/Automat SvšT/The
Fruits of Paradise [March 24, Oakland, California]
  *  Winter ? Alone [March 25, New York, New York]
  *  Winter | Alone At the Film-Makers'
Cooperative [March 25, New York, New York]
  *  Ulrike Ottinger's "Dorian Gray In the Mirror
of the Yellow Press" [March 26, New York, New York]
  *  Sound/Film Performance By Jefre Cantu-Ledesma & Paul Clipson (Opening For
     How To Dress Well and Forest Swords) [March 26, New York, New York]
  *  Vanishing Presence: A Program of Films Selected By Mark Wilson (Canyon
     Salon March 2014) [March 26, San Francisco, CA]
  *  {Extreme Southern Culture Part 3}  the
Dancing Outlaw  [March 26, Tucson, AZ]
  *  Christiane Paul: Genealogies of the New
Aesthetic [March 27, Chicago, Illinois]
  *  La Air: Miko Revereza [March 27, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Gaze #7: Generation Loss [March 27, San Francisco, California 94110]
  *  Tortured Dust [March 28, New York, New York]
  *  Latin American Film Festival [March 28, Ottawa, Ontario]
  *  Distant Star: Sound/Film Performances By Jefre Cantu-Ledesma, Byron
     Westbrook and Paul Clipson + Reel Book [March 29, Brooklyn, New York]
  *  Robert Schaller's Celluloid visions [March 29, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Celluloid visions [March 29, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Christian Divine's "80's Imperialist Cinema"
[March 29, San Francisco, California]
  *  Disappearing Cultures Wounaan: A People of
the Rainforest  [March 29, Tucson, AZ]
  *  Joke On A Joke Hosted By Ben Coonley [March 30, Brooklyn, New York]

Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.

------------------------
SATURDAY, MARCH 22, 2014
------------------------

3/22
Atlanta, Georgia: Contraband Cinema
http://contrabandcinema.com
8:00, 696 Charles Allen Drive

  BROKEN BEAUTY: A SHOW ABOUT GLITCH
   Come join us on March 22nd 8pm at Beep Beep Gallery for our first
   Contraband Cinema screening of the spring season, Broken Beauty: A Show
   On Glitch! Punks of the video world, glitch artists, use a wide array of
   new and old technologies to rebel against the hyper-slick and glossy
   world of contemporary media. Using their VCR's binary code, circuit
   boards, gaming consoles and video mixers, they strive to find the soul
   of the machine while showing viewers that broken is beautiful!
   Contraband Cinema will be presenting works by Tachyons +, Great Nordic
   Sword Fights, Big Pauper and local artists Michael Betancourt, Adam
   Bruneau, Anna Spence and Chris Chambers will be in attendance!

3/22
Austin, Texas: Experimental Response Cinema
http://ercatx.org
7:00pm, Tiny Park, 1101 Navasota Street, Suite 2

  STEPHANIE BARBER'S JHANA AND THE RATS OF JAMES OLDS
   This is the second event with Stephanie Barber in person. Between June
   25th and August 7th 2011 Stephanie Barber moved her studio into the
   Baltimore Museum of Art where she created a new video each day in a
   central gallery open to museum visitors. The goal of this project,
   entitled Jhana and the rats of James Olds or 31 days/31 videos, was to
   create a series of short, poetic videos in the playful and serious
   footprints of Oulipo g...ames and daily meditations; creating one new
   video each day. The exhibit was both a constantly changing installation
   as well as a collaborative performance in which museum visitors were
   present as spectator and often creative partner. Join us as Stephanie
   Barber presents a number of videos from this project!

3/22
Brooklyn, New York: Filmmakers Coop
7:00pm in EDT, 124 S. 3rd Street

  FMC PRESENTS FILMS BY ANJA CZIOSKA AT SPECTACLE
   FMC PRESENTS FILMS BY ANJA CZIOSKA Dir. Anja Czioska, 1991-1997
   USA/Germany, approx. 46 min, 16mm ONE NIGHT ONLY!... SATURDAY, MARCH 22
   - 7:00 PM 16mm projection! Presented by the Film-Makers' Cooperative,
   with an introduction by FMC Director MM Serra. Anja Czioska, born 1965,
   is a German-born filmmaker, performance artist and curator. She was a
   student at Städelschule Frankfurt under Kasper
   König and Peter Kubelka, and is co-founder and co-director
   of the Kunstverein Familie Montez, an important institution of the
   contemporary art scene in Frankfurt. This program of shorts will be
   comprised of thirteen films Czioska made between 1991 and 1997. Moments
   of everyday life captured not unawares, but performed provocatively for
   the camera. The films, all under eight minutes, most shot on Super-8 and
   some hand-developed, have a common theme of nakedness; not only
   literally. They are unpretentious and unabashedly running
   over… SHIWA (1991) S-8 blown up to 16mm, b/w, sound,
   3 min. Music is Ataypura by Yma Sumac. "You can see light
   film… and maybe a wonderful naked body."
   -AC FILM SCRIBBLES: BIRGIT SHOWER, LONDON (1993) S-8 blown up to 16mm,
   b/w, silent, 3 min. "Birgit takes a shower with an old thing
   that is normally used to boil water." -AC FILM SCRIBBLES:
   FÜẞE IM MEER (FEET IN THE SEA) (1992)
   S-8 blown up to 16mm, b/w, silent, 3 min. "You can see feet and
   hands in the North Sea water. It comes and goes in a poetical
   way." -AC FILM SCRIBBLES: IM GRAS (IN THE GRASS) (1994) S-8
   blown up to 16mm, b/w, silent, 3 min. "Anja wears only a
   rubbermask in the grass." -AC FILM SCRIBBLES: SHOWER, ROTTERDAM
   (1991) S-8 blown up to 16mm, b/w, silent, 3 min. "Debut shower.
   The camera on a tripod on the 'timer' and I move very slowly so that the
   viewer has the impression that something is wrong." -AC FILM
   SCRIBBLES: DACH (ROOF) (1994) 16mm, hand-developed, b/w, silent, 3 min.
   "Roofs of San Francisco. This is the filming of a friend, Inga
   and myself sunbathing and playing with the camera." -AC FILM
   SCRIBBLES: DUSCH (SHOWER) (1994) 16mm, hand-developed, b/w, silent, 3
   min. "This is the same type of movie that achieved in Rotterdam
   in 1991. I tried to film me while I took a shower, but the mist and fog
   are overriding factors." -AC FILM SCRIBBLES: UNTERWASSER
   (UNDERWATER) (1994) 16mm, hand-developed, b/w, silent, 3 min.
   "I shot from the water holding my camera in hand. The film is
   projected upside down, so that you feel that I drink all the water
   around me. Some movies make me look like a dead person in the water,
   others show me trying to catch my breath." -AC JONAS MEKAS,
   FRIDAY 13. OKT. 1995 NYC (1995) 16mm, b/w, silent. 6 min.
   "Jonas, Birgit and Anja take a trip to the Brooklyn Bridge.
   Taxi driving, beer buying, drinking, doing funny things and dancing. It
   was a nice afternoon." -AC BOLERO (1995) 16mm, color, sound. 7
   min. Music is Bolero by Ravel. "Timo is Sybille. They get
   married. Romantic film performance-dance in a gravel pit." -AC
   PRINCESS MARINA (1996) 16mm, color, sound. 3 min. Music is Marina by
   Rocco Granata. "Marina eats a carrot. Marina is a Princess.
   Marina is naked." -AC ION DANCE (1997) S-8 blown up to 16mm,
   b/w, silent. 3 min. "Ion Garnica is a dancer of the Frankfurt
   Forsythe Ballet. It's a naked dance improvisational performance only for
   the camera." -AC ION SHOWER (1997) S-8 blown up to 16mm, b/w,
   silent, 3 min. "Ion Garnica, sweaty after dancing, takes a
   shower." -ACSee More

3/22
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St.

  NEW WORKS SALON
   $5 / The New Works Salons series is a casual forum for the presentation
   and discussion of new works in film and video, with local and visiting
   artists in-person to introduce their work. Penelope Uribe-Abee will show
   a new Super 8 film: "for about 30 years, my Uncle has swept floors,
   cleaned bathrooms, and taken out trash on different parts of the UCLA
   campus. As of now, he cleans the Art building—where I coincidentally
   study. I find it very comforting that my Uncle cleans the building I
   work in, and from 5pm-2am he sweeps up the dust that falls from my
   shoes, or takes care of the trash I left behind that day. He is like a
   sandman who comes at night, I am aware and grateful for his presence. To
   other students, custodians are invisible and my Uncle's hard work is
   unknown to them. It is important to me to document his experience at
   UCLA before he leaves. Rick Bahto will show excerpts from his new work
   Concert, an hour-long Super 8 film made up of small performances in his
   bedroom using materials at hand. Kate Brown will show a series of short
   Super 8 and 16mm films used as part of A One Woman Nutcracker, a
   collaborative performance host by Machine Project on Valentine's Day
   this year. Also showing, Micah Lexier's This One, That One, which
   premiered as part of a survey exhibition of his work at the Power Plant
   in Toronto. The work explores the concepts of collecting and ordering
   seen that ran throughout the exhibition.

3/22
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
5:30 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  JAMES BROUGHTON PROGRAM 1
   Presented in conjunction with Anthology's screenings of BIG JOY: THE
   ADVENTURES OF JAMES BROUGHTON, on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, March
   21-23. MOTHER'S DAY (1948, 22 min, 16mm) THE BED (1968, 19 min, 16mm)
   NUPTIAE (1969, 14 min, 16mm) THE GOLDEN POSITIONS (1970, 32 min, 16mm)
   THIS IS IT (1971, 10 min, 16mm) Total running time: ca. 100 min.

3/22
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
8:00 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  BIG JOY
   See notes for March 21, 8 pm.

3/22
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30pm, 992 Valencia Street

  ZIZEK: THE PERVERT'S GUIDE TO IDEOLOGY
   Opening our Intelligence Agents initiative, cultural
   theorist-cum-rockstar Slavoj Zizek re-teams with director Sophie Fiennes
   for a wildly entertaining romp through the crossroads of cinema and
   philosophy. With infectious zeal and a voracious appetite for popular
   culture, Zizek literally goes inside some iconic movie sets to explore
   how these stagings reinforce prevailing ideologies. Epic narratives,
   action pictures, youth movies, as well as propaganda pieces from Nazi
   Germany and Soviet Russia all inform Zizek's provocative and often
   hilarious psychoanalytic rants. The screening is framed by the
   neighborhood's own radiant raconteur, Prof. David Cox.

3/22
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Toronto International Film Festival
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiffbelllightbox/2014/2550013009
7:00 PM, TIFF Bell Lightbox, 350 King Street West

  DAVID RIMMER I: SURFACING
   The first part of our two-night retrospective devoted to the Canadian
   avant-garde great spotlights Rimmer's gorgeous landscape films. Free.

3/22
Tucson, AZ: Exploded View
http://explodedviewgallery.org
7:30, 197 E Toole Ave

  COLLABORATION WITH NATURE: FILMS MADE WITH NATURAL PROCESSES
   Julie Perini, Eric Stewart & Amy Harwood in person! Direct filmmaking
   meets environmental action in a program of films using organic and
   inorganic material to alter the film surface. Co-presented by Signal
   Fire, an organization engaging artists in our remaining wild and open
   spaces, this collection shows a range of effects used to intervene on
   the actual film exposure and processing: decay, spore hosting, compost,
   exposure to bioluminescent plants, processing in polluted lakes,
   magnetic alteration, and more. The program includes work by Dorothea
   Braemer & Brian Milbrand, Dagie Brundert, Caryn Cline, Devon Damonte,
   Lori Felker, Melissa Friedling, Eva Kolcze, Robbie Land, Christine Lucy
   Latimer, Julie Perini, Jeremy Rendina and Ken Paul Rosenthal.

----------------------
SUNDAY, MARCH 23, 2014
----------------------

3/23
Austin, TX: The Mad Stork Cinema
http://themadstorkcinema.tumblr.com
8:00pm, Texas Union Theater, 2247 Guadalupe St

  ONTOLOGICAL MYSTERY CINEMA!
   The Mad Stork Cinema presents its first screening of the year!
   Ontological Mystery Cinema surveys works of video artists pondering
   strange, post-apocalyptic, techno-centric and toxic future realities.
   With work by Bobby Abate, Steven Matheson and featuring Leslie
   Thornton's legendary Peggy and Fred in Hell!

3/23
Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard Film Archive
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa
7pm, 24 Quincy Street

  A SPELL TO WARD OFF THE DARKNESS
   $12 Special Event Tickets Ben Russell in person Over the past decade,
   Ben Rivers and Ben Russell have become known each for their distinct
   blends of experimental film, documentary and ethnography. The work of
   Rivers (b. 1972) has often focused on dreams of remote hinterlands and
   on non-conformists who seek to forge private kingdoms of their own.
   Meanwhile, Russell (b. 1976) has channeled the spirit of Jean Rouch,
   seeking the extreme and the sublime at raucous rock shows as well as in
   the desert and the jungle. A Spell to Ward off the Darkness is at once
   the joint project of two friends and the first collaboration between two
   rising stars of contemporary cinema. The film itself is a triptych of
   three complementary yet purposely distinct parts, tracing a trajectory
   through three distinctive spaces, whether rural or urban, primitive or
   modern. It is left to the viewer to make connections among the three
   sections, aside from the distinctive presence of artist-musician Robert
   A.A. Lowe (aka Lichens) in all three parts, acting as a guide inside the
   film for the viewer. Part trance film, part meditation, A Spell to Ward
   Off the Darkness can be seen as a synthesis of the work of its two
   directors, combining the haunting beauty of Rivers' film with the
   hallucinatory charge of Russell's. It shows both artists breaking new
   ground as they jointly grapple with the various kinds of utopia
   previously explored in their respective work. Directed by Ben Rivers and
   Ben Russell France/Estonia/Norway/Finland 2013, digital video, color, 98
   min This screening is presented in conjunction with a series of events
   presented by the Film Study Center of Harvard, Balagan Films, the
   DocYard and Non-Event. Monday March 24 at 7pm: The Shorts of Ben Russell
   and Ben Rivers at the Brattle Theatre:
   http://thedocyard.com/2013/12/the-shorts-of-ben-russell-and-ben-rivers-2
   / Tuesday March 25 at 9pm: sound + 16mm performance by Robert A.A. Lowe
   (of Lichens) and Ben Russell at Middlesex Lounge in Cambridge:
   http://middlesexlounge.us

3/23
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
6:15 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  JAMES BROUGHTON PROGRAM 2
   Presented in conjunction with Anthology's screenings of BIG JOY: THE
   ADVENTURES OF JAMES BROUGHTON, on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, March
   21-23. COLLABORATIONS WITH JOEL SINGER: TOGETHER (1976, 3 min, 16mm,
   b&w) SONG OF THE GODBODY (1977, 11 min, 16mm) THE GARDENER OF EDEN
   (1981, 8.5 min, 16mm) DEVOTIONS (1983, 22 min, 16mm) SCATTERED REMAINS
   (1988, 14 min, 16mm) Total running time: ca. 65 min.

3/23
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
8:00 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  BIG JOY
   See notes for March 21, 8 pm.

3/23
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Toronto International Film Festival
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiffbelllightbox/2014/2550013010
7:00 PM, TIFF Bell Lightbox, 350 King Street West

  DAVID RIMMER II: VARIATIONS
   Rimmer's classic Variations on a Cellophane Wrapper anchors this
   programme of stunning found-footage works. Free.

----------------------
MONDAY, MARCH 24, 2014
----------------------

3/24
Brooklyn, New York: Microscope Gallery
http://www.microscopegallery.com
7pm , 4 Charles Place (at Myrtle btwn Bushwick & Evergreen)

  F.P. BOUé - BUILDING BLOCKS: MAILLART FROM THE GROUND
   artist in person, admission $6. Microscope welcomes New York-based
   artist F.P. Boué to the gallery for the first US film/video
   screening/loop installation of his "Maillart From The Ground" series,
   featuring original footage of constructions by the Swiss civil
   engineer/architect known primarily for his revolutionary work with
   reinforced concrete. Boué illuminates ­ both in color HD and b&w Super 8
   ­ Maillart's Töss bridge in Winterthur Switzerland in the looping video
   /film double projection installation "Töss". In "Maillart vom Boden aus
   (Maillart From The Ground)", Boué has recorded seven of Maillart bridges
   and a concrete ceiling in various locations throughout Switzerland.
   Despite the significance in architectural history of Maillart's
   structures, some have now neglected, endangered, or have recently been
   demolished."Boué's work is motivated by a concern with the reciprocal
   translation between the two-dimensional representation of architecture
   and its three-dimensional reality
." ­ Dan Sherer. F.P. Boué was born in
   Marburg, Germany and studied linguistics, the history of art,
   architecture and film in London and Paris. He lives and works in New
   York and has been showing three-dimensional works involving
   architecture, landscape and urban situations since 1981. His work has
   been exhibited at Galleria Luigi Deambrogi, Milan; Galerie Chantal
   Crousel, Paris, Galerie Corinne Hummel, Basel; Centro Galileo, Madrid;
   Markus Winter, Berlin; Participant Inc., New York. He began showing
   films in 1999. His films have been exhibited at the Museum of Modern
   Art, New York; Kunstmuseum, Bern; Shedhalle, Zürich; Künstlerhaus,
   Stuttgart; Anthology Film Archives, New York; Museum für Moderne Kunst,
   Frankfurt; New Museum, New York; and Tate Modern, London. more info:
   www.microscopegallery.com. Nearest Subway: J/M/Z Myrtle/Broadway, other
   options L Morgan Ave, B54. tel: 347.925.1433.

3/24
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:30 pm , 32 2nd Ave.

  WHITE CUBE/BLACK BOX: JOHN BALDESSARI, BRAKHAGE & FISHER
   Bridging the gap between the white walls of the gallery and the
   immersive darkness of a movie theater, Anthology's new, ongoing series
   WHITE CUBE / BLACK BOX seeks to create a dialogue between films made by
   visual artists and works by experimental filmmakers. These differences
   are multivalent and not easily defined; this series aims to be a
   starting point for an exchange between these two arguably
   arbitrarily-separated categories by presenting them side-by-side to
   investigate their similarities, differences, and histories. Tonight's
   program pairs films that are boldly self-reflexive investigations of
   cinematic illusionism. Baldessari's SCRIPT and Morgan Fisher's THE
   DIRECTOR AND HIS ACTOR
 hover between structural film and conceptual
   art, while Brakhage's BLUE MOSES is an over-the-top theatrical
   deconstruction. The first section of Baldessari's four-part SCRIPT
   presents the text of scenes from four commercial movie scripts
   (including SUNSET BOULEVARD); in the second and third sections we see
   seven pairs of Baldessari's CalArts students act out these scenes with
   neither direction from Baldessari nor any knowledge of how the others
   are performing the scenes; while in the final section we see the
   "director's cut", a compilation of the best performances of each
   segment. The whole is a repetitious but playful exercise in the dramatic
   possibilities that the text of a script can hold, and one that lays bare
   the elements of narrative movie-making. Fisher's film, in which a
   director and his actor comment on the rushes of a film we've earlier
   seen being shot, is imbued with the same self-reflexivity. BLUE MOSES,
   the only film in Brakhage's massive oeuvre to utilize synchronized
   speech, hinges on parody as its actor entices us into a loose narrative
   only to disassemble its parts, expose its illusion, and tout the
   presence of a filmmaker behind every shot. The actor states, "Look, this
   is ridiculous. I'm an actor.
You're my captive audience. I'm your
   entertainment, your player. This whole film is about us." Stan Brakhage
   BLUE MOSES (1962, 11 min, 16mm, b&w) Morgan Fisher THE DIRECTOR AND HIS
   ACTOR LOOK AT FOOTAGE SHOWING PREPARATIONS FOR AN UNMADE FILM (1968, 15
   min, 16mm, b&w) & John Baldessari SCRIPT 1974, 51 min, 16mm-to-video,
   b&w Total running time: ca. 80 min.

3/24
Oakland, California: black hole cinematheque
7:30pm in PDT, 1038 24th st

  FAREWELL Ve(RA: DAISIES/AUTOMAT SVšT/THE FRUITS OF PARADISE
   RIP Ve(ra Chytilová (2 February 1929 ­ 12 March 2014) a memorial
   marathon screening of some of her most loved early works (more info tba)

-----------------------
TUESDAY, MARCH 25, 2014
-----------------------

3/25
New York, New York: Film-Makers' Cooperative
www.film-makerscoop.com
7:30PM, 475 Park Avenue South, 6th Floor

  WINTER ? ALONE
   FMC Charles S. Cohen Screening Room // 475 Park Ave. South, 6th Floor
   (at 32nd St.) $10 suggested donation Programmed by Katie Bradshaw This
   program attempts to be 'a monument, an illumination' of alone­ness.
   Program: WINDOWMOBILE (James Broughton & Joel Singer) 1977, 16mm, 7.5
   min. DRIPPING WATER (Joyce Wieland & Michael Snow) 1969, 16mm, 11 min.
   ROSLYN ROMANCE (IS IT REALLY TRUE?): INTRO 1 & 2 (Bruce Baillie) 1978,
   16mm, 17 min. STARLINGS (Karl Kels) 1991, 16mm, 9 min. GLANCES (Pamela
   Bennett) 1989, 16mm, 9 min. WINTER (David Brooks) 1966, 16mm, 16.5 min.

3/25
New York, New York: Filmmakers Co-op
7:30pm in EDT, 475 Park Avenue South, 6th Floor

  WINTER | ALONE AT THE FILM-MAKERS' COOPERATIVE
   Programmed by Katie Bradshaw... Winter | Alone "A window by the
   desk on which your work is laid. A bowl with water. The many ways time
   passes and stands still while we are alone, in this room or on these
   travels. This program attempts to be 'a monument, an illumination' of
   alone­ness. Projected are films where I see filmmakers
   looking out - ­­from windows, from still and
   moving vantage points ­­- in combination with
   films where I see filmmakers looking inwards - on themselves, into
   black, at their one, single brushstroke." -Katie Bradshaw Program:
   WINDOWMOBILE (James Broughton & Joel Singer) 1977, 16mm, 7.5 min.
   DRIPPING WATER (Joyce Wieland & Michael Snow) 1969, 16mm, 11 min.
   ROSLYN ROMANCE (IS IT REALLY TRUE?): INTRO 1 & 2 (Bruce Baillie)
   1978, 16mm, 17 min. STARLINGS (Karl Kels) 1991, 16mm, 9 min. GLANCES
   (Pamela Bennett) 1989, 16mm, 9 min. WINTER (David Brooks) 1966, 16mm,
   16.5 min. Film-Makers' Cooperative/New American Cinema Group 475 Park
   Avenue South, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10016 www.film-makerscoop.com
   (212) 267-5665 // filmmakerscoop at gmail.com Twitter: @filmmakerscoopSee
   More

-------------------------
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 26, 2014
-------------------------

3/26
New York, New York: Dirty Looks NYC
http://dirtylooksnyc.org
7:30PM, 87 Lafayette Street

  ULRIKE OTTINGER'S "DORIAN GRAY IN THE MIRROR OF THE YELLOW PRESS"
   Our organization will create a human being whom we can shape and
   manipulate according to our needs. Dorian Gray: young, rich and
   handsome. We will make him, seduce him and break him. DIRTY LOOKS NYC
   partners with DCTV for a rare screening of Ulrike Ottinger's epic media
   studies fever dream, 'Dorian Gray in the Mirror of the Yellow Press.'
   Plotting to boost circulation of her multinational media empire, Frau
   Dr. Mabuse (art film icon Delphine Seyrig) molds dapper aristocrat,
   Dorian Gray (60s supermodel Veruschka von Lehndorff), into a tabloid
   celebrity of her own designs. Introducing Dorian to a world of power and
   intrigue, Mabuse pairs him off with opera star Andamana (Tabea
   Blumenschein). But as readers tire of the new couple's amorous exploits,
   Mabuse dispatches her maniacal henchmen (Fassbinder regular, Irm
   Hermann, Magdalena Montezuma, Barbara Valentin and writer, Gary Indiana)
   to kill off Dorian's paramour. And so begins his plummet into the seedy,
   criminal underbelly of 1980s Berlin. "Frau Dr. Mabuse, whose illustrious
   precursor is Fritz Lang's psychopathic, counterfeiting boss of the
   underworld, derives her power from the fabrication of reality based on
   the seduction of images and words. Her perfect object and victim is the
   Bauhaus-dandy Dorian, whose relation to Oscar Wilde's prototype is as
   marginal as his relation to power. The fairy-tale framework of
   Ottinger's feature compositions asserts itself strongly in this film as
   Dorian replaces the evil tycoon and becomes king of the media
   conglomerate." Ulrike Ottinger is a prolific German filmmaker who
   started her visual art career in Munich and Paris in painting,
   photography, and performance. Ottinger's commitment to film took off
   with her move to Berlin. Her "Berlin trilogy" began with 'Ticket of No
   Return' (1979), followed by 'Freak Orlando' (1981) and 'Dorian Gray.'
   Collaborating on the films were Delphine Seyrig, Magdalena Montezuma,
   Veruschka von Lehndorff, Eddie Constantine, and Kurt Raab, as well as
   the composer Peer Raben. 'China. The Arts ­ The People' (1985) was the
   first in a series of long documentary films made in the course of Ulrike
   Ottinger's travels through Asia. She made the narrative film 'Johanna
   D'Arc of Mongolia' in Mongolia in 1989, followed three years later by
   the eight-hour documentary film 'Taiga.' Alongside her journeys to the
   Far East, she applied a virtually "ethnographic" attention to the
   changes taking place in her own city between the fall of the Berlin Wall
   and German reunification in the documentary film 'Countdown.' After the
   documentary film 'Exile Shanghai' (1997), her travels took her to
   southeast Europe, where she once again created a documentary film and a
   narrative film: 'Southeast Passage' (2002) and 'Twelve Chairs' (2004).
   Recent films include 'Under Snow' (2011), 'The Korean Wedding Chest'
   (2008), and 'Prater' (2007). $8 Suggested Donation Doors 7:00 |
   Screening 7:30 | Seating is limited

3/26
New York, New York: (Le) Poissin Rouge
http://www.lepoissonrouge.com/lpr_events/how-to-dress-well-forest-swords-march-26th-2014/
10pm, 158 Bleecker Street, New York, NY 10012

  SOUND/FILM PERFORMANCE BY JEFRE CANTU-LEDESMA & PAUL CLIPSON (OPENING FOR
  HOW TO DRESS WELL AND FOREST SWORDS)
   Jefre Cantu-Ledesma and Paul Clipson open at (Le) Poissin Rouge with a
   sound and film performance featuring recent color and black & white
   micro and macro Super 8mm imagery from Edinburgh, London and the
   limitless universe of the Golden Gate Park Botanical Gardens.

3/26
San Francisco, CA: Canyon Cinema
http://www.canyoncinema.com
7pm, 1777 Yosemite

  VANISHING PRESENCE: A PROGRAM OF FILMS SELECTED BY MARK WILSON (CANYON
  SALON MARCH 2014)
   Filmmaker, animator and artist Mark Wilson has been active in the San
   Francisco Bay area artist-made independent film community for more than
   twenty years. For our second Salon, Canyon asked Wilson to curate a
   selection of works influential to him, as well as those which highlight
   central concepts in his filmmaking practice. - VANISHING PRESENCE - The
   films in this program share an emphasis on the human figure and
   movement, recorded using approaches ranging from single frame time
   exposures to super slow motion, or even resequenced fragments. In these
   pieces, movement in time is compressed, prolonged, or seemingly in
   stasis. Together these works can be viewed as meditations on human
   presence and absence–how it is captured, rendered, and
   perceived through the medium of 16mm film. - Thanatopsis, Ed Emshwiller
   (1962) 5min b/w sound, Passage a l'acte, Martin Arnold (1993) 12min b/w
   sound, See You Later/ Au revoir, Michael Snow (1990) 18min color sound,
   Wait, Ernie Gehr (1968) 7min color silent, Time Being, Gunvor Nelson
   (1991) 8min b/w silent, Motion Studies, Mark Wilson (1995-1998) 4min b/w
   silent, Loretta, Jeanne Liotta (2003) 4min color sound - 7:00pm-
   Reception - 7:30pm

3/26
Tucson, AZ: Exploded View
http://explodedviewgallery.org
7:30, 197 E Toole Ave

  {EXTREME SOUTHERN CULTURE PART 3}  THE DANCING OUTLAW
   Originally screened in 1991 on West Virginia Public TV, director Jacob
   Young profiles the troubled but always entertaining mountain dancer
   Jesco White. White's father was a famous mountain dancer; his son is
   equally obsessed with Elvis Presley and combining clog and backwoods tap
   dancing, always with an eye towards the camera. A great look at end of
   the century Appalachia; Dancing Outlaw turns the camera on an American
   original and lets him do his thing.

------------------------
THURSDAY, MARCH 27, 2014
------------------------

3/27
Chicago, Illinois: Conversations at the Edge
http://www.saic.edu/cate
18:00, Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60601

  CHRISTIANE PAUL: GENEALOGIES OF THE NEW AESTHETIC
   Curator and scholar Christiane Paul presents a multimedia talk on the
   "Genealogies of the New Aesthetic." Identified as such by the British
   artist and programmer James Bridle, the New Aesthetic began as a Tumblr
   devoted to new modes of technologically enabled imaging and exploded
   into a meme dissected by critics from Wired, The Atlantic, and Vanity
   Fair. Taking Bridle's Tumblr as her starting point—a collage of
   corruption artifacts, 8-bit imagery, information visualization, and
   more—Paul (using research conducted in collaboration with Malcolm Levy)
   traces the histories of each to create a lineage for practices,
   artifacts, and their aesthetics. 1968-2014, multiple countries, multiple
   formats, ca 60 min + discussion. Christiane Paul (b. 1961, Attendorn,
   Germany) is Associate Professor at the School of Media Studies, The New
   School, and Adjunct Curator of New Media Arts at the Whitney Museum of
   American Art. She has written extensively on new media arts and lectured
   internationally on art and technology. As Adjunct Curator of New Media
   Arts at the Whitney Museum of American Art, she curated several
   exhibitions—including Cory Arcangel: Pro Tools (2011), Profiling (2007),
   Data Dynamics (2001) and artport, the Whitney Museum's website devoted
   to Internet art.

3/27
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St.

  LA AIR: MIKO REVEREZA
   LA AIR is an artist-in-residence program that invites Los Angeles
   filmmakers to utilize EPFC resources in creating a new work over a
   four-week period. Miko Revereza was born in Manila and grew up in the
   San Francisco Bay Area. Since relocating to LA in 2010 he's worked
   primarily on music videos and live video art installations for LA's
   experimental music scene. His personal films explore identity and
   Americanization of the Filipino immigrant. DROGA! is a Super 8 tourist
   film about the LA landscape through the lens of Filipino immigrants. The
   film closely examines cultural identity by documenting the intersections
   of American pop culture and Filipino traditions. AYUS! is a video art
   piece shot on VHS. The images are screen tests of family members, canned
   foods and soda from the Philippines. "Ayus!" is a slang phrase in
   Tagalog which means "Sounds like a good plan!" Free event!

3/27
San Francisco, California 94110: Artists Television Access
http://www.atasite.org/
8:00pm in PDT, 992 valencia street

  GAZE #7: GENERATION LOSS
   We're a generation of thieves, pastiche artists, and Dr Frankensteins,
   cutting and borrowing from the digital wasteland as well as the
   stickiest parts of nature. What is conjured in the alchemy of
   reproduction? And what falls by the wayside? This season's GAZE is a
   journey into the aesthetics and pleasures of copying, remapping, and new
   weird genres. Join us for a transmutation of the digital soul, a journey
   into something rich and strange (those are pearls that were his eyes!)
   Hold on to your mimeographs.... Featuring Work By: Penny Lane Jesse
   McLean Kate Rhoads Amy Ruhl Gemma Syme Meredith Sward Meraz Tzur Talia
   Feder C & A Projects Cost: $7-10

----------------------
FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 2014
----------------------

3/28
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:30 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  TORTURED DUST
   by Stan Brakhage 1984, 89 min, 16mm Share + Film Notes SPECIAL SCREENING
   ­ RARE BRAKHAGE! "TORTURED DUST, the last film Stan Brakhage made about
   his family, with whom he lived in the mountains of Colorado for 18
   years, premiered at New York's Collective for Living Cinema in March
   1984. Its title was taken from a sentence in Marguerite Young's MISS
   MACINTOSH, MY DARLING, a mammoth novel of which Brakhage was very fond.
   Unlike preceding chapters of THE BOOK OF FILM ­ e.g., the SINCERITY and
   DUPLICITY series ­ whose parts could be screened individually, the four
   parts of TORTURED DUST were designed to be shown, at Brakhage's
   insistence, as one ninety-minute movie. In this sense, it is his longest
   domestic film, labored over 'slowly' and 'persistently' for more than
   three years, as he remarked to friends in numerous letters, aware of the
   toll it was taking on him. During that period ­ 1981-83 ­ all five
   children had already left the nest. The loneliness that ensued for
   Brakhage and his wife Jane, as well as the unraveling of their marriage,
   ending in divorce in 1986, contributes to the especially poignant,
   heartbreaking tone of this film. Rife with what Brakhage called
   'unbearable tensions' and 'desperations,' TORTURED DUST, as the
   protracted, even obsessive nature of its camerawork attests, constitutes
   a long and painful goodbye by one of cinema's greatest artists to a
   family and an era." ­Tony Pipolo

3/28
Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Film Institute
www.cfi-icf.ca
March 28-April 12, 2014, 395 Wellington Street

  LATIN AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL
   The Latin American Film Festival (LAFF) returns in 2014 for its 18th
   edition, showcasing features, documentaries, and short films from south
   of the Rio Grande. Presented by the Canadian Film Institute (CFI), the
   event features only contemporary Ottawa premieres, gleaned from the
   screens of such festivals as Cannes, Berlin, Toronto, and Chicago to
   celebrate the rich and diverse cultures of Latin America. Each year,
   experience the work of Latin America's greatest filmmakers, as well as
   Embassy-hosted receptions, over the span of the ten-day prestigious film
   event held at 395 Wellington. Five-film Passports and special prices for
   members, seniors, and students are made available. This exciting event
   is presented in collaboration with the Group of Latin American
   Ambassadors (GRULA). Experience the work of Latin America's greatest
   filmakers. New this year - join us on March 29th for a fair featuring
   Latin American food, wine and culture.

------------------------
SATURDAY, MARCH 29, 2014
------------------------

3/29
Brooklyn, New York: Union Docs
http://www.uniondocs.org/03-29-2014-distant-star/
7:30pm, 322 Union Avenue, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York 11211

  DISTANT STAR: SOUND/FILM PERFORMANCES BY JEFRE CANTU-LEDESMA, BYRON
  WESTBROOK AND PAUL CLIPSON + REEL BOOK
   This evening will feature two performances by sound artists Jefre
   Cantu-Ledesma and Byron Westbrook with new Super 8 and 16mm films by
   Paul Clipson. As part of the event, Clipson will introduce and speak
   about REEL, a new book of unique film projectionist drawings being
   released by Oakland-based LAND AND SEA. REEL unofficially surveys over a
   decade of 35mm screenings at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,
   where Clipson works as a projectionist, and is a cinefile's eccentric
   collection of technical notes for the ever-more rare art of celluloid
   filmmaking, projection and exhibition. Also screening will be a montage
   of changeover moments, or "cigarette burns," created by Clipson for the
   book's artist's edition.

3/29
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St.

  ROBERT SCHALLER'S CELLULOID VISIONS
   $5 / Filmmaker Robert Schaller shows recent short 16mm pinhole films
   along with other works, including his new film Mailfor film and live
   cello. Schaller's films present a re-envisioning of the world in which
   sight is filtered through the kind of rhythmic structures that more
   often characterize music, and the human tendency to reduce the seen to a
   name is frustrated by the fleetingness and ephemerality of images which
   instead defy easy grasp. He strives to create deeply personal and
   embodied visions of the physical world—of landscape and dance in
   particular—grounding the physicality of subject in an embrace of the
   materiality of celluloid itself. Celluloid film presents a wonderful
   mixture of the wholly immaterial image entirely produced by a wholly
   physical process. In this admixture Schaller finds a potent analogy to
   the human condition which his film work embraces: on the one hand, he
   pre-plans films down to the frame on paper and visualizes rhythms using
   a computer, but then builds cameras out of boxes and tape and strips of
   metal, makes his own emulsions and film stocks, processes everything by
   hand in buckets, edits on a light table, shoots with only a metronome
   and the slow-motion movement of his body as means to control to
   exposure, framing, and timing. Through this rootedness in the messy
   reality of process and presence he finds a path towards the sublime,
   towards a way to create and share at least a fragmentary view of the
   irreducible splendor of existence.

3/29
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N Alvarado St. (@ Sunset Blvd.)

  CELLULOID VISIONS
   Filmmaker Robert Schaller shows recent short 16mm pinhole films along
   with other works, including his new film Mail for film and live cello.
   Schaller's films present a re-envisioning of the world in which sight is
   filtered through the kind of rhythmic structures that more often
   characterize music, and the human tendency to reduce the seen to a name
   is frustrated by the fleetingness and ephemerality of images which
   instead defy easy grasp. He strives to create deeply personal and
   embodied visions of the physical world—of landscape and dance in
   particular—grounding the physicality of subject in an embrace of the
   materiality of celluloid itself. Celluloid film presents a wonderful
   mixture of the wholly immaterial image entirely produced by a wholly
   physical process. In this admixture Schaller finds a potent analogy to
   the human condition which his film work embraces. Through its rootedness
   in the messy reality of process and presence he finds a path towards the
   sublime, towards a way to create and share at least a fragmentary view
   of the irreducible splendor of existence.

3/29
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30pm, 992 Valencia Street

  CHRISTIAN DIVINE'S "80'S IMPERIALIST CINEMA"
   With the 1980 election of Ronald Reagan, Hollywood exited the New
   Seventies Cinema for a "State of the Art" genre that sub-texted jingoism
   and imperialism--powdered with the cocaine of Capitalism and edited to
   the video beat of MTV. Our fave psychotronic cinema wizard Christian
   Divine takes a Cult Studies approach to the industry products that
   became emblems of the era. From masked slashers to weird science, this
   clip-show will weave a thematic narrative of the pop-neon decade,
   exposing the colonialism of Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Cold War
   propaganda of Top Gun, the entitled teen world of Ferris Bueller's Day
   Off, the proto-revolutionary realms of Star Wars, and so much more! Come
   early for cheap 80s cocktails, our toy helicopter, and the original USAF
   Star Wars promos; Andre Perkowski's mash-up of Orson Welles movie lore
   will kick off our Hollywood review.

3/29
Tucson, AZ: Exploded View
http://explodedviewgallery.org
7:30, 197 E Toole Ave

  DISAPPEARING CULTURES WOUNAAN: A PEOPLE OF THE RAINFOREST
   Filmmaker Liz Kennedy in person! Wounaan: A People of the Rainforest
   documents the rhythms and activities of daily life of the Wounaan, an
   indigenous tribe inhabiting the rainforest of the west coast of Colombia
   during the mid-sixties. The activities of a constructed day, through
   close-ups and candid moments, afford the viewer a unique glimpse into
   the cooperative and egalitarian nature of a subsistence culture based on
   agriculture and hunting and fishing. Since Wounaan, social life has
   recently been severely disrupted by capitalist violence and so the film
   captures a critical historical moment.

----------------------
SUNDAY, MARCH 30, 2014
----------------------

3/30
Brooklyn, New York: UnionDocs
http://www.uniondocs.org
7:30pm, 322 Union Avenue

  JOKE ON A JOKE HOSTED BY BEN COONLEY
   An evening of video artists, performance artists, musicians, and writers
   reenacting, translating, paying homage to, improving upon, and/or
   pissing all over classic stand-up routines from some of comedy's most
   revered live performers. The artists in this program have been given
   free reign to choose their sources, and may employ video, music, and
   other crutches to enhance their 4-6 minute long sets.

Enter your event announcements by going to the
Flicker Weekly Listing Form at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

The weekly listing is also available online at Flicker: http://www.hi-beam.net