[Frameworks] banned films?

Steve Polta steve.polta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 01:28:31 UTC 2014

I'm also not sure what it means for a film to be "banned," at least in this
day and age but we certainly do know about continuing access problems with
such films as "Titicut Follies," "Cocksucker Blues" and other films.
Apropos to this discussion (and in response to Abigail Severance), I
believe the film that got the Ann Arbor Film Festival in trouble a few
years ago (2006 I believe) with the Michigan State Government was Brooke
Keesling's "Boobie Girl." I found an article here:
http://blog.mlive.com/extra_iddings/2007/03/film_festival_busted_for_boobi.html
And the film's website is here: http://www.boobiegirl.com/boobie.html

Ann Arbor FF followed this attack (after raising a ton of money from
supporters in a very sort time) with an extensive series of "banned" films.
I tried but cannot find this series listed online.

Another interesting "banned" film is David Wojnarowicz' "A Fire in My
Belly," which, in 2010 was removed from video display at the National
Portrait Gallery after complaints (about supposed desecration of religious
imagery) by John Boehner, Eric Cantor and others. This actually led to (I
believe) the revocation of a huge ($100,000; that's huge right?) grant from
the Andy Warhold Foundation for the Visual Arts which had been granted in
support of the exhibition. Also in response, many other art museums and
orgs exhibited the work concurrent with the controversy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wojnarowicz#.22A_Fire_in_My_Belly.22_controversy
haha, if you can't make it to the National Gallery (in a time machine), you
can watch the film on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHRCwQeKCuo

(As an aside, I'll say that I hold Wojnarowicz in the highest esteem
possible--I believe he was in fact a model American--and the ability this man
has to continue to provoke people from long beyond the grave is amazing.)

When it was a new film, there was talk of Luther Price's film "Sodom"
(1994?) being "banned" from some film festivals (particularly gay film
festivals). This accusation never quite made sense to me (since are all
films not selected for exhibition necessarily to be considered "banned?"),
even though I think (duh) that it's a great film.

There was this series presented in 1992-1993 at Pacific Film Archive:
http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/filmseries/FS4167

On November 1, 1998, San Francisco Cinematheque presented "FILM UNDER FIRE:
AN EVENING OF OBJECTIONABLE ART" which included "Sodom," original poster
Scott Stark's "Noema" (1998) and works by Anne Severson, Lewis Klahr, Valie
Export, Kurt Kren and others. While this program's (curated by Steve Anker)
accompanying program notes reference Karen Finley and Canyon Cinema's
(independent) problems with the NEA, I'm not sure that any of the films in
the program (other than perhaps "Near the Big Chakra") was "banned." The
only online documentation I can find is in the Internet Archive's
electronic copy of Cinematheque's compiled 1998 Program Notes:
https://archive.org/stream/sanfranciscocine98sanfrich/sanfranciscocine98sanfrich_djvu.txt

There you go...

Steve Polta