[Frameworks] New filmmaker

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Tue May 6 02:01:38 UTC 2014

Learning to edit before starting to shoot on your own may not be for
everyone, but I think it's an excellent suggestion. You may even want to
pursue this for a while before shooting, but if you then want to shoot
on your own, your shooting will be informed by what you have learned to
do with editing, and will likely be more disciplined as a result.

It's all too easy to shoot a bunch of footage that you then have no idea
what to do with. This is a frequent beginner's problem.

If you do get a camera right away, one good discipline is trying to make
very short films that are edited in camera, or as close to edited in
camera as you can make them.

Fred Camper
Chicago