[Frameworks] This week [May 17 - 25, 2014] in avant garde cinema

Weekly Listing weeklylisting at hi-beam.net
Sun May 18 00:58:51 UTC 2014

This week [May 17 - 25, 2014] in avant garde cinema

To subscribe/unsubscribe to the weekly listing, go to
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/mailto.pl?mailto=subscribe
or send an email to weeklylisting at hi-beam.net.

Enter your announcements (calls for entries, new work, screenings,
jobs, items for sale, etc.) at:

http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
=====================
Festival of (In)appropriation (Los Angeles, CA; Deadline: August 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1703.ann
Lone Star Film Festival (Fort Worth, Tx, USA; Deadline: August 16, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1704.ann
L'Alternativa, Barcelona Independent Film
Festival (Barcelona; Deadline: July 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1705.ann
Columbus International Film + Video Festival
(Columbus; Deadline: July 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1706.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
=====================
3rd Intervideo Talent Award (Mainz,
RheinlandPfalz, Germany; Deadline: June 15, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1663.ann
VIDEOHOLICA International Video Art Festival
(Varna, Bulgaria; Deadline: June 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1665.ann
25 FPS Festival (Zagreb, Croatia; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1666.ann
WNDX Festival of Moving Image (Winnipeg,
Manitoba, Canada; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1682.ann
Ottawa Internaitonal Animation Festival (Ottawa,
ON, Canada; Deadline: May 18, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1685.ann
landlocked film festival (iowa city; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1687.ann
FCDEP - Festival des Cinemas Differents et
Experimentaux de Paris (Paris, France; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1689.ann
Festival du nouveau cinéma (Montréal, Québec, Canada; Deadline: June 15, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1696.ann
Inte. Independent Film Festival (Rome, Italy; Deadline: June 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1697.ann
VIDEOHOLICA International Video Art Festival
(Varna, Bulgaria; Deadline: June 01, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1698.ann
RENCONTRES INTERNATIONALES SCIENCES ET CINÉMAS
(RISC) INTERNATIONAL SCIENCE & FILM FESTIVAL
(Marseille, France; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1699.ann
Aesthetica Short Film Festival (York, North
Yorkshire, UK; Deadline: May 31, 2014)
  http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1701.ann

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

Also available online at Flicker: http://www.hi-beam.net

THIS WEEK'S PROGRAMS (SUMMARY):
==============================
  *  The Evidence of Film: New Works By Brian L.
Frye [May 17, Brooklyn, New York]
  *  Headboggle + Tommy Becker + vision Nocturna
[May 17, San Francisco, California]
  *  Still Lives and Gradual Speed  [May 18, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Pxl This 23 [May 20, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Japanese Experimental Films - the 1970s [May 20, New York, New York]
  *  James Fotopoulos's Dignity (Nyc Premiere) [May 22, Brooklyn, New York]
  *  Ericka Beckman [May 22, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Essential Cinema: L'age D'or [May 22, New York, New York]
  *  Essential Cinema: Blood of A Poet [May 23, New York, New York]
  *  Essential Cinema: Orpheus [May 24, New York, New York]
  *  Essential Cinema: Blood of A Poet [May 24, New York, New York]
  *  Michael Gendreau's "Discrepant Parataxis" +
Walter Funk's 3-D + [May 24, San Francisco, California]
  *  Ericka Beckman: Out of Hand [May 25, Los Angeles, California]
  *  Essential Cinema: Orpheus [May 25, New York, New York]
  *  Len Lye Program  [May 25, New York, New York]

Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.

----------------------
SATURDAY, MAY 17, 2014
----------------------

5/17
Brooklyn, New York: Microscope Gallery
http://www.microscopegallery.com
7pm (d, 4 Charles Place (at Myrtle btw Bushwick & Evergreen)

  THE EVIDENCE OF FILM: NEW WORKS BY BRIAN L. FRYE
   Admission $6, artist in person. Microscope welcomes Brian L. Frye back
   to the gallery for "The Evidence of the Film", a rare solo screening of
   new works. In this program, Frye presents three new films, each using
   archival evidentiary footage from separate court cases. In two of the
   works, the material had been previously used as a kind of 'objective'
   source of information to support specific claims during court
   proceedings. They are offered as a truth, an omnipresent judge. But what
   can be the true value of film in these cases? What does it tell us and
   what is left out? Is it, indeed, objective, or does there enter an
   element of performance, a point of view? And if so, whose and in what
   context? In the third work, Frye uses images from the 1961 trial of Nazi
   SS Lieutenant-Colonel Adolf Eichmann in Jerusalem. Here, Frye has
   manipulated the footage through multiple rephotographing. Brian L. Frye
   is a filmmaker, writer, and professor of law. His films explore
   relationships between history, society, and cinema through archival and
   amateur images. Fyre's films have been shown by The Whitney Museum, New
   York Film Festival, Pacific Film Archive, New York Underground Film
   Festival, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, The Warhol Museum, Media
   City and Images Festival. His films are in the permanent collection of
   The Whitney Museum. His writing on film has appeared in October, The New
   Republic, Film Comment and the Village Voice. A Professor of Law at the
   University of Kentucky, his legal scholarship concerns interactions
   between the law and the arts, focusing on issues relating to nonprofit
   organizations and intellectual property. Brian is a Creative Capital
   grantee and was named one of Filmmaker Magazine's "25 New Faces of
   Independent Film" in 2012. Full program and additional info:
   www.microscopegallery.com. tel: 347.925.1433,
   info at microscopegallery.com. Nearest Subway: J/M/Z Myrtle/Broadway.

5/17
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30pm, 992 Valencia Street

  HEADBOGGLE + TOMMY BECKER + VISION NOCTURNA
   Celebrating the resonances between contemporary video and sound art,
   this program proffers a party platter of creative projects that work the
   edge between disciplines. Headlining: the histrionic antics of Derek G,
   AKA Head-boggle. Derek's analog synth compositions follow those of Tommy
   Becker, back by popular demand with two new pieces: Song for the Pain
   Body and Song for the Discarded. Initiating tonight's electronic
   synesthesia are the moody soundscapes of Everrett Thompson and Nico
   Cevallos of Vision Nocturna. Bridging the live acts are choice
   selections from the brand-new I Dream of Wires, detailing the
   present-day revival of the modular synthesizer. PLUS Delia Derbyshire,
   Bruce Haack, Auroratone, and Painleve's Sex Life of an Octopus. $7.

--------------------
SUNDAY, MAY 18, 2014
--------------------

5/18
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
7:30 pm, Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian, 6712 Hollywood Blvd.

  STILL LIVES AND GRADUAL SPEED
   Filmmaker Julie Murray (last hosted at Filmforum in 2010) was invited by
   us to curate a show for Filmforum, and here it is! Featuring the Los
   Angeles premiere of Els van Riel's remarkable Gradual Speed, combined
   with classic but rarely seen works by Chris Marker and Bruce Baillie!
   For more event information: www.lafilmforum.org, or 323-377-7238
   Screening: Chat écoutant la musique (Cat Listening to Music), By Chris
   Marker, from Beastiary (1994, digital, 3 min) Little Girl, By Bruce
   Baillie (1966 16mm, color & b&w, sound, 9 min) Still Life, By Bruce
   Baillie (1966, 16mm, color, sound, 2 min); Gradual Speed, By Els van
   Riel (2013, 16mm, b&w, 52 min.) Los Angeles Premiere!

---------------------
TUESDAY, MAY 20, 2014
---------------------

5/20
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St.

  PXL THIS 23
   $5 / PXL THIS celebrates its 23rd year of creative filmmaking by
   everyone from kids to professionals, and the 50th anniversary of the
   audio cassette. One of the most unique film festivals ever, PXL THIS has
   been attended by Oliver Stone, Daryl Hannah, Kim Fowley among many more.
   Pixelvision has even made it onto the big screen via Richard Linklater
   (Slacker), Michael Almereyda (Nadja, produced by David Lynch) and Craig
   Baldwin (Sonic Outlaws). The irresistible irony of the PXL 2000 is that
   the camera's ease-of-use and affordability, which entirely democratizes
   movie-making, has inspired the creation of some of the most visionary,
   avant and luminous film of our time. This edition of the festival
   features work by Ruby Qi Tondelli, Andy Bustin, L. M. Sabo, Clint Enns,
   Chester Burnett, Kalynn Campbell, Will Erokan, Marc Bascougnano, Rey
   Wolf, Joe Nucci, Marvin Choi, The Here & Now (Paolo Davanzo & Lisa
   Marr), Clifford Novey, Gerry Fialka, Bruce Atchison, Paul Orso, Shirley
   Vernales, Jonathan Menchin, Ralph Loynachan, Wrasslin' Poodles, Joseph
   Weidinger, Denny Moynahan, Phil Marion, Doug Ing, Rex Butters & Paulie
   Dee, Tad Dery, Sunny War, Nick Newlin, Julien Mangogna, Chris Westhoff,
   Geoff Seelinger, and tENTATIVELY a cONVENIENCE. PXL THIS curator Gerry
   Fialka in person! "PXL THIS never fails to stimulate its audience into a
   churning state of passionate intellectual arousal, and while it's gained
   an international flair, at its core the festival is genuine California
   culture at its marvelous best." ­Jonny Whiteside, LA Weekly.

5/20
New York, New York: Filmmakers Coop
7:30pm, 475 Park Ave South, 6th floor

  JAPANESE EXPERIMENTAL FILMS - THE 1970S
   Assembled and introduced by Takahiko Iimura Distributed from Filmmakers
   Cooperative. KIRI Sakumi Hagiwara, (1972), 8 min. A fixed camera
   photographs a fog-shrouded landscape. At first the screen appears almost
   totally white, but gradually the features begin to reveal
   themselves$B!D(B The film bears a conscious resemblance to sumie
   paintings. ORANDA-JIN NO SHASHIN (Photograph of the Dutch) Isao Koda,
   (1976), 7 min. Beginning with photographs of his own feet wading in a
   stream. Koda first establishes a labyrinthian 'photo within a photo'
   theme... SYNC SOUND Takahiko Iimura, (1975), 9 min. Following the order
   of the academy's synchronization leader which is used for picture and
   sound to synch, the film adopts the system for its own order (or may be
   fallen out of order)$B!D(B The film repeats until all the numbers are
   replaced by the sounds. LUMIERE Tsuneo Nakai, (1971), 3 min. A single
   shot of the sea, played with an synchronized soundtrack and made to
   change in color. FEEDBACK Nobuhiro Kawanaka, (1973), 8 min. Photographs
   of a nude, arranged into stop-motion sequences on the left half of the
   screen, are juxtaposed with a close-up of the film itself passing in
   front of a viewer, gradually revealed on the right half of the
   screen$B!D(B 10 SEC. Ryoichi Enomoto, (1973), 8 min. A single
   ten-second sequence by a dancer has been photographed at several speeds,
   which are then replayed at different speeds with freezes and multiple
   exposures added... OBSERVATION Hiroshi Yamazaki, (1975), 10 min. The
   film is composed of two sequences: 1) A simple scene of a street corner
   taken from a window is given the appearance of dawn$B!D(B 2) Shots of
   the position of the midday sun on 27 consecutive days, taken through a
   dense day-for-night filter.. ATMAN Toshio Masumoto, (1975), 11 min The
   title is a Hindu term meaning the World Soul from which all souls
   derive, or more simply, a principle of life. Matsumoto tried to 'create'
   a microcosm (with a devil figure at the center), by dividing a field
   into 10 equidistant concentric circles... "T he proclamation of
   sensibility was the pronounced feature unifying the disparate films [in
   this program]: this sensibility is one dedicated to an acceptance of
   irony as an aesthetic integer. Seeming to duplicate the formal devices
   of 'the structural film', these films develop along a distinct principle
   of gratification." - Daryl Chin

----------------------
THURSDAY, MAY 22, 2014
----------------------

5/22
Brooklyn, New York: Spectacle
http://www.spectacletheater.com/
7:30 and 10:00 pm, 124 South Third Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211

  JAMES FOTOPOULOS'S DIGNITY (NYC PREMIERE)
   DIGNITY // Dir. James Fotopoulos, 2013 // USA // 82 min. ||||| NEW YORK
   CITY PREMIERE! ONE NIGHT ONLY! ||||| James Fotopoulos in attendance
   HUNTER, KID-THING) and featuring music by Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)
   DIGNITY, the latest lo-fi sci-fi digital whatsit by prolific artist
   James Fotopoulos, who will be in attendance at both shows. ||||| Agents
   Mr. Rainbow and Mr. Lamb (the Zellners) are sent to an alien planet
   fighting a civil war. Their mission to destroy a perpetual motion
   machine is interrupted by their capture. While their interrogations
   proceed the two men struggle to come to terms with their suffering and
   pending death. ||||| DIGNITY uses the minimal structure of a sci-fi
   B-film, the high artifice of painted backdrops, prosthetic horror
   effects, psychedelic noise soundtrack and early digital techniques to
   flesh out the philosophical ideas ranging from the stoic writings Marcus
   Aurelius to the fantasy prison drawings of Giovanni Battista Piranesi.
   greatest experimental filmmaker of his generation. DIGNITY is a perfect
   example of his recent style. No body of work is more single-mindedly
   relentless in its programme of defamiliarising the familiar than James
   Fotopoulos'. This is what makes him such an essential artist."
   -Maximilian Le Cain, Experimental Conversations

5/22
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
7:00 pm, MOCA Grand Avenue, Ahmanson Auditorium,
250 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles 90012

  ERICKA BECKMAN
   Coinciding with the exhibition Mike Kelley, Ericka Beckman will present
   three of her works, The Broken Rule (1979) and Cinderella (1986), in
   which Mike Kelley stars; and Switch Center (2003). Bennett Simpson, MOCA
   curator, will introduce the program. The Broken Rule (1979, Super-8 to
   16mm; color, sound; 23 min.)Produced, directed, shot and edited by
   Ericka Beckman; Starring: Mike Kelley; Cinderella (1986, 16mm; color,
   sound; 30 min.); Switch Center (2002, 16mm; color, sound; 12 min.)

5/22
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:00 pm , 32 2nd Ave.

  ESSENTIAL CINEMA: L'AGE D'OR
   by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí In French with English subtitles, 1930,
   73 min, 35mm, b&w Conventional attempts at plot synopsis wither in the
   face of L'ÂGE D'OR. In Buñuel's words, "The story is a sequence of moral
   and surrealist aesthetics. The sexual instinct and the sense of death
   form the substance of the film. It is a romantic film performed in full
   surrealistic frenzy."

--------------------
FRIDAY, MAY 23, 2014
--------------------

5/23
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:15 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BLOOD OF A POET
   by Jean Cocteau In French with English subtitles, 1930, 53 minutes,
   35mm, b&w (LE SANG D'UN POÈTE) "Adolescent angels wandering about, black
   boxers with perfect bodies taking flight, school-children in capes
   killing each other with snowballs, a mirror becomes a swimming pool, and
   the hallways of a furnished hotel turn into a labyrinth." ­Georges
   Sadoul

----------------------
SATURDAY, MAY 24, 2014
----------------------

5/24
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:15 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  ESSENTIAL CINEMA: ORPHEUS
   by Jean Cocteau In French with English subtitles, 1950, 95 minutes,
   35mm, b&w (ORPHÉE) With Jean Marais. Orpheus and Eurydice, with Death
   waiting on the corner. Cocteau said, "Orpheus could only exist on the
   screen. A drama of the visible and the invisible, ORPHEUS's Death is
   like a spy who falls in love with the person being spied upon. The myth
   of immortality."

5/24
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
9:15 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  ESSENTIAL CINEMA: BLOOD OF A POET
   See notes for May 23, 7:15 pm.

5/24
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30pm, 992 Valencia Street

  MICHAEL GENDREAU'S "DISCREPANT PARATAXIS" + WALTER FUNK'S 3-D +
   Our second set of Live A/V action is anchored by Renaissance man Michael
   Gendreau, a true pillar of the international experimental music scene.
   With collaborator Lisa Seitz, he orchestrates an amazing assemblage of
   antique transcription discs, phonographic cylinders, and mid-century
   audio letters, wringing out the long-lost timbres and tonalities­-not to
   mention the linguistic content--of these "obsolete" media-archeological
   artifacts. Popping open this Memory Palace is Walter Funk's Hologlyphic
   Overscan, a volumetric display of floating 3-D visuals that reflect the
   same spirit of resourcefulness, ingenuity, and the Marvelous. PLUS: Dan
   Gunning's hand-cranked 78rpm discography, Thomas Edison's tin-foil
   trickery, Warner Bros.' optical sound-tracking, and Craig Baldwin's
   ChromaDepth-abetted Nth Dimension.

--------------------
SUNDAY, MAY 25, 2014
--------------------

5/25
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
7:30 pm, Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian, 6712 Hollywood Blvd.

  ERICKA BECKMAN: OUT OF HAND
   Los Angeles Filmforum is proud to present two screenings with the
   genre-defying, highly original filmmaker Ericka Beckman. Described as a
   key figure of the Pictures Generation, Beckman often uses games as
   structuring devices in films and videos that combine minimalist and punk
   aesthetics. As Amy Taubin writes: "Milking the Surrealist roots of Pop,
   Beckman creates brightly colored, psychologically threatening, sexually
   charged worlds in which her avatars are hurled to and fro, trapped
   inside a game plan whose rules they desperately try to discern."
   Tonight, Beckman's second Los Angeles screening presents a further
   selection of films and a new digital video from her important and highly
   original oeuvre, including Out of Hand (1980); You the Better (1983),
   which nearly caused a riot at its premiere at The New York Film
   Festival; as well her more recent work Hiatus (1999); and Tension
   Building, a work in progress. Ericka Beckman in person!

5/25
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
6:00 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  ESSENTIAL CINEMA: ORPHEUS
   See notes for May 24, 7:15 pm.

5/25
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
8:15 pm, 32 2nd Ave.

  LEN LYE PROGRAM
   A giant of experimental animation, Len Lye was born in New Zealand in
   1901. He moved to England in the 1920s and subsequently to New York in
   1944, where he spent the last 40 years of his life. A pioneer of
   'scratch' or 'direct' filmmaking, Lye used various tools to mark
   patterns, shapes, and images directly onto the film's surface. In works
   such as FREE RADICALS, Lye explored the dynamic energy of abstract
   images propelled into life by lively jazz scores or Pacific-inspired
   rhythms. Several of Lye's films were made for clients including the
   British Government Post Office and the Chrysler Corporation. Despite
   their commercial nature, Lye tackled these projects with a playful sense
   of experiment, retaining his trademark study of dynamic motion. This
   program is presented to celebrate both Anthology's recent acquisition of
   several Len Lye films (including three that are part of the Essential
   Cinema collection), and the forthcoming exhibition, LEN LYE: MOTION
   SKETCH, at The Drawing Center in Soho. On view from April 17-June 8,
   MOTION SKETCH is the first survey of Lye's practice to be exhibited in
   New York, and features an extensive selection of drawings, paintings,
   photographic works, and films, revealing how the artist's concept of
   'doodling' underpinned much of Lye's practice. For more info, visit
   www.drawingcenter.org TUSALAVA (1929, 10 min, 16mm, b&w, silent) A
   COLOUR BOX (1935, 3 min, 16mm) KALEIDOSCOPE (1935, 4 min, 16mm) TRADE
   TATTOO (1937, 5 min, 16mm) COLOUR FLIGHT (1938, 4 min, 16mm) MUSICAL
   POSTER NO. 1 (1940, 3 min, 16mm) COLOR CRY (1952, 3 min, 16mm) RHYTHM
   (1957, 1 min, 16mm, b&w) FREE RADICALS (1958/79, 4 min, 16mm, b&w)
   PARTICLES IN SPACE (1979, 4 min, 16mm, b&w) TAL FARLOW (1980, 1.5 min,
   16mm, b&w) Total running time: ca. 50 min.

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

The weekly listing is also available online at Flicker:
http://www.hi-beam.net