[Frameworks] CBS goes Underground

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Sat May 31 19:37:20 UTC 2014

I agree with Chuck's comments. Given how bad mainstream media can be,
this "report" is really quite good, considering that it was meant for an
evening-news mass audience. Of course nothing profound is said, and
Warhol could easily seem like a fool to those who don't take seriously
John Cage's "I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it," but as an intro
it doesn't stumble too badly, and lets people know that something or
other is happening. They showed the Brakhage likely knowing it would
seem weird, but I give them credit for the showing, and for respecting
the film's silence, and for not taking a condescending "this is weird"
attitude. Plus, I always did find Heliczer's "Dirt" to be "confusing."

Something from the same decade that will appeal to anyon elooking for
evidence of mainstream media's horribleness is the Time Magazine feature
on "underground" film, in I believe 1964, after the Ford Foundation gave
a number of $10,000 grants (maybe around $60,000 in today's dollars) to
some of the major figures. Time, to its eternal disgrace, got a lot of
attention by sensationalizing the film descriptions, making the work
seem like sleazy porn, hence dissuading the Ford Foundation from continuing.

Fred Camper
Chicago