[Frameworks] 16mm/Super8 Screening & Panel Discussion @ NYPL Jefferson Market Library

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Wed Nov 12 00:44:36 UTC 2014

Yes, most people who use the term have adopted it in exactly this way.
And this view of language is widely accepted as well, as never fixed in time.
However there is also the traditionalist view of
language and respecting etymology, and it can be
instructive to educate the critical mass,
particular at a time when the film medium needs
awareness and sustainability.
Using the term analog reduces film to a signal.
If film is only a signal then there is no reason
to resuscitate acetate or polyester film material.
A signal can be received in many ways including
analog and digital reproductions, as long as the
resoution and the bit depth of such reproductions
surpass the visual acuity of the human retina.
Since film is not only about what it looks like,
but also about what it is, and in light of the
fact that you are hosting an event about film as
a material and as a practice and to promote the
film advocacy task force, I think it worthwhile
to avoid the analog/digital debate by referring
to film simply as its own material.
This also evades a stickier neologism as "film"
as come to mean any moving picture production on
any medium. Any "film" student working digitally
claims to make "film." I believe they are making
"digital" but I am very alone in that strict use
of the term to mean only film based production.
At least the term analog is still precise enough
that we can use it to raise awareness that film
is different.

To Sherman George:
No, "analog" used as an adjective relates only to signals
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=define:+analog