[Frameworks] 16mm/Super8 Screening & Panel Discussion @ NYPL Jefferson Market Library

Lady Snowblood snowbloods.parasol at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 03:40:55 UTC 2014

Matt, this is a fantastic document . . .
This is thought to simultaneously relax the brain and increase active engagement as the mind “fills the gaps” between each shutter interruption. In this way, the brain constructs perception of movement from distinct still frames.

Its interesting to me that there is no concomitant discussion of codec. The video codec does the interpolation work for the viewer. Different codecs do this following different rules … This may create the viewer’s sense of distance, and the sleepiness Pip referred to earlier. Sensory processing is doing a lot less work to read the imagery on screen.

 * * *

As someone who has been screening exclusively digital video, and who works with digitized film regularly, I think the slackness with language about “what is film” refers also to whether or not the audience is educated or invested in the physicality of film. How much of this rolls back to human experience of story (or just, visual experience)? People I think have a tendency to identify with “film” being a “storytelling medium”.  At least, those audience members who don’t know how the stuff gets made.

I refer to myself as a ‘digital media artist’ even when I make work involving emulsion manipulation, scanning, & digital animation. That deliverable can contain images resonant with those produced by “analog media”, but its still bound together and presented in the digital.

Jessica

* * * * *

Jessica Fenlon

artist : poet : experimental ~