[Frameworks] pan across cut

Dave Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:40:39 UTC 2014

AFAIK there's no specific term for that. It would fall under the general category of "Graphic Match" rather than 'Match On Action'. An MOA smooths out an edit from one shot scale to another that takes place within continuous screen-space and screen-time.

Like all film technique terms, the applications of these get fuzzy at the edges. But, e.g. I'd say the sequence of footsteps near the end of Meshes, and all the cuts in Choreography for the camera are Match On Action as the the subject is a single figure moving in continuous screen-time through a surrealist screen-space.

What example(s) are yo thinking of, Gene?

Even if the action matches in a cut (panning or not) that clearly indicates a different point in screen time (showing a figure is repeating an action performed previously) I'd call that a Graphic Match. (The arguably most famous Graphic Match being the cut from the tilt following the bone to the static shot of the spacecraft at the end of The dawn of Man sequence in 2001)