[Frameworks] looper question

Karl Reinsalu kreinsalu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 18:06:15 UTC 2014

You are on the right track.  In my experience you want the platter as level
as possible (RFS Type Platter Looper) to maintain balance.  Never let the
loop pull backwards and this usually results in the film binding at a point
in the run (not fun).  I've had instances where I have to constantly find
the splice and add the slack to the outer part of the loop in order to get
the sweet spot. Id suggest keep wrapping and adjust your front and rear
feed (if you can) to tweak the tension right when it stops slacking.

Best of luck!

Karl.

LIFT TECH - www.lift.ca

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Amanda Christie <
amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i have a bit of a looper question.
>
> i've worked with them in the past, but not extensively... and this is the
> first time i've run into this issue.
>
> we loaded the 35mm looper on monday, and ran it for a bit on monday,
> tuesday, and wednesday just to get the right balance and tension... but
> wednesday night during the opening, it kept getting more and more slack,
> dipping closer to the ground... so i spent the day at the gallery
> yesterday, with some fabric on the floor watching it... because i was told
> that it was normal that it would take a couple of full days running for it
> to adjust to heat and humidity and find it's ideal balance... but it
> started getting really really slack and like spaghetti on the ground... so
> eventually i stopped it, and added another loop around the looper to take
> up the slack... it was fine for a while... but then would fluctuate
> extremely... with the loop dropping down to the ground, then tightening up
> to as tight as it would go, then back down to the ground... i was hoping it
> would just find it's balance... but then it got too tight up at the top at
> the loop box, and started to pop up above the internal vertical rollers, so
> i stopped it, and removed that external loop again.  now, once again it is
> too slack like spaghetti on the floor.... (safely on lint free fabric
> though!)
>
> should i give it a few more hours to tighten up and find it's balance, or
> should i stop it, and wrap another loop around the outside (like i did
> yesterday, but that was too tight), then release a loop from the inside (so
> that it's not quite so tight)....
>
> is this because it's an older print (only 2 years old) with a few splices
> and burns in it from previous exhibitions?  would i be better off with a
> brand new print?
>
> or do i just sit tight and wait for it to find it's happy place?
>
> any advice from more experienced loopers would be much appreciated.  thank
> so much!
>

> Amanda Dawn Christie

Karl Reinsalu
e.mail: KReinsalu at gmail.com