[Frameworks] looper question

Julian Antos julian at northwestchicagofilmsociety.org
Fri Oct 10 20:53:48 UTC 2014

Here's an absurdly terrible picture of the installation I was talking
about. Film ran perfectly for several weeks with no roller or tension or
anything directly below the projector, then after a few weeks (print was
changed once at this point) that "slack" below the projector started to
shrink, so we added an additional roller beneath the projector, which
worked ok but wore the prints out prematurely because more tension was
being put on the film. We were eventually able to minimize that by
constantly cleaning and exercising all the rollers and bearings in the
looper, but it was still never as good as the first few weeks when the
looper was brand new. Humidity seems to play a big part in how well the
looper functions (same is true of regular platters) so if you're above,
say, 50% RH you may want to throw a dehumidifier in with the projector for
good measure.

A friend of mine told me RFS has a new looper with a motorized platter
which works much better. Even with all these little problems it's pretty
impressive that a print can survive over 1000 runs and various twists and
turns and still look pretty good.

[image: Inline image 1]

--
Julian Antos