[Frameworks] Deep Listening Experimental Film--bringing Deep Listening to the Office!

Al Matthews prolepsis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:40:29 UTC 2014

Wikipedia's pretty murky here. Big, resonant places and stringed
instruments.

A control-f skim of the various occurrences of "deep", here
http://media.hyperreal.org/zines/est/intervs/oliveros.html , would probably
get it across. She wrote a book with the title.

I'll gamble wildly though by suggesting that in the synthesis versus
recording (stockhausen v pierre schaeffer) (germany versus france)
rivalries of early electronic music, from the
field-recording-and-manipulation (the musique-concrete) side, there emerged
a kind of soundscape or landscape-listening practice that privileged
silence, and the absence of humans, and human things.

Deep listening as an attentiveness practice that doesn't reflexively hate
computers, is maybe something of a middle way. Hence the title of her early
collected writings, "Software for People."

There are a number of composers who investigate the nature of hearing as an
active, attentive practice, and that, I suspect, is the short answer.

The rest is Oliveros worrying about composition; it's probably not too
distant from Brakhage's writing, really, except for the ear.