[Frameworks] Daylight Spools, and 16mm activism: Anyone? (Buehler?)

nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net
Mon Sep 1 08:25:24 UTC 2014

There are lots of good suggestions here, especially a symposium. Here in the UK No.w.here have B&W processing, contact and optical printing facilities, and run regular courses, which are very hands-on in nature. Their activities have stimulated a new generation of young filmmakers to work with 16mm. Mich of the work is performance-based and uses small amounts of film, for obvious reasons, although there are also the high-end gallery artists still using it; Rosa Barba, Runa Islam, Daria Martin, Tacita Dean etc -mostly women, interestingly.

There are also several artist-run labs scattered throughout Europe, and at least two labs in London, iDailies and Cinelab, are considering starting to print 16mm, in addition to the two that have been doing so continuously for many years; Prestech (mainly a conservation/restoration lab that also does 16mm) and Film and Photo. Perhaps a start would be to compile a directory of existing facilities and resources to get a picture of what's out there and what's viable. Frameworks members' collective knowledge and expertise should make this easy!

Nicky.