[Frameworks] CAPTURING DVD

J. Fenlon snowbloods.parasol at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 20:55:15 UTC 2014

On Sep 13, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Dave Tetzlaff <djtet53 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The mpeg4 from Handbrake is too compressed, and will degrade the image.

All info here is for mac OSX issues. Many options are presented because in my experience best solution is conditional on unique user situation, of which I have little to no info

> There will always be information decay when translating the data from DVD compression to another file format. Whether or not the image lossy issue is 1) perceptible or 2) an issue for the user depends on the user, IMHO.

> handbrake on Mac OSX 10.7 and above will not copy DRM-protected disks without DRM glitch; ie they started respecting DRM on the 10.7 & above builds (or it may be something in the firmware on OSX, 10.7 is when they started tightening management of data moving from different zones of the computer hardware via 'sandboxing' to improve system security ...)  This also seems to be when handbrake oversimplified the export codecs.

> handbrake on 10.6 still rips everything for me, DRM or no.

> mpeg streamclip doesn't even open on 10.7 for me, idk your mileage may vary depending on Mac OS installation. it's depreciating b/c it can't deal with sandboxing issues I think.

> depending on the intended use, capturing the movie from the screen using 3d party software can do the trick (like iShowU, which will capture to any codec installed on your system, including uncompressed video) It just has to happen during real time, so it's a bit of a pain in the ass/timesuck. But for short clips, for academic use, it may be the thing to do.

(iShowYou is from shineywhitebox Ltd software)

Sorry about the shorthand, I'm running a fever & on my phone trying to get over that :) good luck

Jessica

* * *

Jessica Fenlon
http://drawclose.com