[Frameworks] Order smaller quantities from Kodak (was "Kodak Film Stocks to be Discontinued...)

40 Frames info at 40frames.org
Mon Sep 29 18:39:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Mike Morris <m_alex_morris at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> When talking to kodaks representative I asked about ordering some 7302 for
> a class, since we won't be able to know when the back order of 7363 will
> come in. Evidently it has been a stock that was kept on hand and ordered in
> 4000 ft cans, but will now be made to order, same as 3378, which means
> 6x4000, or 24000 ft minimum purchase.
>
> I don't know if anyone else is already doing so, but I'm tempted to try to
> put some money down, spool those stocks down, then sell them off for what
> 400' or 100' might have cost. Would people be interested in this, and does
> this seem like a viable plan? I feel like there are some labs that might do
> this already, but maybe what kodak needs is a middle man?

You might contact Elena Rossi-Snook who is heading up the Film Advocacy
Task Force as part of AMIA's membership.

There are a number of things in Kodak's catalogue (35mm cans 1000',
molecular sieves, etc) that have minimum orders higher
than what I need. FATF/AMIA is working on a purchasing scheme that can
distribute smaller quantities to individuals and organizations.

There might be other groups attempting to do something like this, however
that this happening within AMIA's ranks is a positive thing IMO.

Alain

--
40 FRAMES
Portland, Oregon USA