[Frameworks] RIP Robert Russett

Mark Toscano mrktosc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 00:29:31 UTC 2015

Very very sorry to report that we lost the brilliant and incredible artist
and scholar Robert Russett on March 26.

For the past few years, I've been honored to work with him on restoring his
remarkable 16mm films, something which is still ongoing.  Bob was really
thrilled that people had started to rediscover his singular film work, and
I'm eager to continue until all are preserved and screenable again.

He was particularly gratified that Primary Stimulus and Neuron found an
enthusiastic new audience at Views From the Avant-Garde at NY Film Fest a
couple of years ago, having been rejected by the festival at least a few
times in the '70s (!)  Thanks to Mark McElhatten for enabling us to share
those.

For those of you who may only know Robert Russett for his co-writing (with
the amazing Cecile Starr) of the crucial Experimental Animation, you will
soon have an unreal body of work to discover.  Keep an eye out!

RIP Bob...

Mark Toscano