[Frameworks] Experimental Film Screenings and Workshops of PNW's Devon Damonte

Bridgid Cummins bridgid10 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:52:26 UTC 2015

"Devon Damonte is a filmmaker and educator based in Olympia, Washington. He
has been creating unique short films utilizing direct animation techniques
since 1987. He is a faculty member at Evergreen State College and has also
been teaching community workshops for over a decade." (Keene State College:
event April 9, 2015)

Devon's excitement for his craft is contagious and inspired my journey into
experimental film and direct film animation. All of his work is hand
crafted and joyously creative.

The following is his schedule for both west and east coast
events/workshops/classes for Devon's tour, borrowed from his discussion
list. If you are in the area of these events, don't miss out.---

*New England mini-tour*

I’m about to embark on a visit back to Northeast haunts - 4 shows and 4
class visits.

Kindly help spread word to all within range about the screenings, entitled

“A Field Guide to the Endangered Experimental Motion Graphics”

featuring nature-based Devonimations in 16mm and projection performances,
including *Aurouroborous Washialis *and* To Lust for Lacecraft*

- Weds 4/1 in Boston at 8pm at MassArt (Massachusetts College of Art &
Design)

- Tues 4/7 in NH at 7pm at Dartmouth's EYEWASH

- Thurs 4/9 in south NH at 6:30 pm at Keene State College
- Sat 4/11 in Maine at 7:30pm at Common Street Arts in Waterville, thank
you Colby College and Maine Film Center co-sponsors

http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/exhibits/mapparium

*Crafters invade Community Print for Olympia Artswalk *
The Crackpot Crafters Direct Letterpress Animators Division are showing
stuff at the glorious new location of Community Print. Also music and
poetry and a groovy mirrored atrium.

- Friday night, April 24 in Olympia at Community Print downtown (in Ward
building, next to Jake's hotdogs and Gyro spot)

http://communityprintolympia.tumblr.com/

*35mmIsAlive! at OFS monthly craftering big screen style*
Since Hollywood has done its best to make 35mm motion pictures an orphan
medium, Crackpot Crafters and Olympia Film Society are adopting this
gleaming cinematic stepchild! Starting in May we'll do a monthly workshop
at ye olde historic Capitol Theater with immediate gratification to watch
what we make right away on the giant screen thanks to OFS volunteer
projectionists keeping the 35mm lights alive!

-starts monthly Monday nights in merry May

http://olympiafilmsociety.org/35-is-alive/

*Letterpress-On-Film is blowin up all over!*

This summer Catherine Alice Michaelis and I are teaching a workshop and
screening/lecture for Seattle’s Book Arts Guild called “Handmade Filmmaking
for Book Artists.” Focussing on letter-pressing and related inky fun
directly onto 16mm leaders, we're employing the theory that the best way to
learn and develop a new art form is to teach it!

- Sunday June 7, 2015 in Seattle, 10am-6pm Workshop
Maps/Special Collections Classroom, Suzzallo Library, University of
Washington

- Thursday June 11, 2015 in Seattle, 7-9pm Screening / Lecture
Suzzallo and Allen Library, University of Washington

http://bookartsguild.org/index.php

*Evergreen Summer Direct Animation Intensive!*
Where else but The Evergreen State College will you find a 5-week, 8 credit
hardcore intensive film camp studying all aspects of production, theory,
and presentation of handcrafted, camera-free motion graphics in the
supposedly extinct media of 16mm *and 35mm cinema! *"Visual Music in 16mm
and 35mm Direct Animation" is an incredible opportunity to enjoy the best
of TESC's finest facilities - COM penthouse design lab, new screening room,
Photoland, film editing, Multimedia Lab with new 16mm film transfer - in
the idyllic NW summertime with hardly anybody else on campus.

- July 28, 2015–August 27, 2015 (9a-5p Tue/Thurs) in Olympia

http://www.evergreen.edu/catalog/2014-15/programs/visualmusicin16mmand35mmdirectanimation-13509

*Cecile Starr Tribute in NY*!
This fall I'm invited to create a new animated welcome film for a screening
to celebrate the epic and wondrous life of Cecile Starr, experimental
animation's pioneering scholar, teacher, and guru-godmother who passed away
last December at age 93. Working title: "Starrlight Starrbright
Starrshine." The Center for Visual Music and The New York Public Library
for the Performing
Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center, presents a *Cecile Starr Tribute
Celebration.*

- Thursday, October 1 in New York, 6 pm at Lincoln Center

http://www.centerforvisualmusic.org/Events.htm

*Agates and Moonsnail shells and Tartan washi honeybears, oh my!*

My I-Spy display is currently on view at the Olympia Library downtown at
the circulation desk. It’s a glass terrarium, filled with flotsam and
knicknackery and wonders for spiers to find. Up until at least 4/14, maybe
longer.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/05/venom-library-store-poison-from-australia-deadliest-creatures

Devon Damonte

Oly, WA

You can find more of his work here: https://vimeo.com/user4815979

--
“Some sort of pressure must exist; the artist exists because the world is
not perfect. Art would be useless if the world were perfect, as man