[Frameworks] 16fps 16mm projectors?

Sasha Janerus sasha.janerus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:39:25 UTC 2015

Warhol wasn't sufficiently concerned with the technical side of things to
warrant a claim that he "intended" the films to run 16 as opposed to 18.
Warhol would have been interested in the creative misuse of the apparatus,
and in the footage being submitted to and deformed by norms enforced by
mass-production and standardization. The screen test *raisonné* lists
running times for both speeds--see the chapter on "Cataloguing and
Methodology" for a discussion.

The only reason I can think of for using 16fps would be to get some slight
flicker in the image, a spectral effect that by my lights makes for an
ideal presentation. But then you get into the question of number of shutter
blades.

I've checked with the Warhol Foundation as to what consumer projectors he
used. They were very gracious, but not especially helpful. W owned numerous
projectors, and would likely have used whatever was at hand--or several at
once, as in the EPI.

If you're still committed painstaking historical accuracy, Lary 7 projected
a couple of Warhol shorts at 16 fairly recently at Judson Church. I'd get
in touch with him about projectors, or with Bruce Jenkins or Claire Henry
at the Warhol Film Project for more info on the films.