[Frameworks] films about solfege

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Thu Aug 6 17:06:03 UTC 2015

Hi Amanda,
My film CHARLEMAGNE 2 PILTZER is based on the
diminished 5th, harmonics and dissonance in tonal
intervals and flickering of opposite colors. The
color wheel is an illusion since color perception
is based on the sensitivity of three types of
cone in the retina. Therefore the opposition
between red and green, for example, is
biological. The circle of fifths in music is also
a biological illusion. The film studied this
effect by relating flicker between opposite
colors to Charlemagne Palestine's use of
intervals like the diminished fifth to create
dissonance and harmonic frequencies: we hear
tones that are not being played, we see colors
that are not on the film strip.
Pip