[Frameworks] Looking for (un)reliable perceptual information through camera movement

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 00:29:43 UTC 2015

The opening of Touch of Evil and all of Russian Ark are iconic examples of camera movement defining a space without the support of narration. There is narration in the Sokurov, but it doesn’t “support” the glide, which is often unmotivated and, therefore, not always subjective POV. (Fred’s question does seem to problematize the notion of motivation, which is interesting). There’s a lot of this sort of thing in Bela Tarr. In the experimental world there is of course Wavelength, and no doubt endless other examples. I’ve always liked Richard Myers’ “Moving Pictures” (1989), a 100-minute lateral track (right to left) that moves continuously through spaces, scenes and “stories” not told. At one point the camera appears to move through the open windows of a parked car.