[Frameworks] All about the Bolex

alexandre at bolex.net alexandre at bolex.net
Tue Dec 29 12:05:52 UTC 2015

Dear Frameworkers,

For nearly five years, I have been working on a documentary about the swiss precision industry that produced the Bolex’s, Kern lenses and the Nagra. I have already met over 30 former employee of theses companies as well as filmmakers.

You can watch a trailer featuring Otello Diotallevi who is the last Bolex employee by clicking the link below:

https://vimeo.com/150185992

I am trying to find people that used to visit the Paillard Showroom at 265 Madison Avenue in New-York.They were also located in 100 Avenue of the America and later in Linden, New-Jersey. If any of you have some stories about it, I would be very interested to hear it (Images Below). I will probably be in New-York in January.

I am also copying an article from the Bolex Reporter entitled « The New American Cinema Group ».The article was written in 1966 by Fred W. Mc Darrah. I was very surprised to see Robert Frank in the article, I always thought he was filming with an arriflex at least from the film « Pull my daisy ». If I remember correctly, Robert Beavers the partner of Gregory Markopoulos told me that Paillard lent some cameras to the filmmakers in exchange of the article. Some of them never came back.

If any of you could help me contact Mr Mekas I would appreciate it very much, I have been trying to contact him for three years without success.

There is a film on the inventor of the first Bolex's ( http://www.jacquesbolseyproject.com/index.html ) that should be released next year and a book was released in French two years ago ( http://www.editions-thiele.com/ ). Lots of interesting things about the Bolex history will be released in a near future.

Feel free to contact me if you have any interesting stories about the Bolex.

Happy filmmaking!
Alexandre Favre