[Frameworks] cats & milk

Cooper Battersby cooperbattersby at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:27:18 UTC 2015

I think you are looking for:

Cat film for Katy and Cynnie 1973, 16mm, color, silent, 4:00

From the EMAF 2011 Retrospctive Catalog…

In the early 70's, a New York cat-lover and film-maker named Pola Chapelle produced a ›Cat Film Festival:‹ which was shown in a large downtown NYC auditorium to an audience of more than a thousand catlovers. At the time, I lived with my wife Ursula and our daughters Katy and Cynnie, together with many, too many cats. I loved my family but not the cats. But one of our cats would wag her tail endlessly as long as her neck was stroked and, with the right music on the film's sound track, she really looked like she was conducting the musicians. This idea became Catfilm for Ursula. The audience loved it, and I was awarded a carton of cat food for the film. But to my disappointment, this audience was only interested in just seeing cats; obviously they cared not at all about the wonderful art of film. So when the second ›cat film festival‹ was announced, I decided to play with their obsession. First, I put three cats in a bathroom without food for two days to make sure they were super-hungry. Then I took a large glass panel and placed my camera underneath it, then covered the glass with a mixture of milk and flour and placed the hungry cats on top of the glass. This became Catfilm for Katy and Cynnie. At first, while looking at a blank screen, the audience hated it: Where are the cats? ...until finally, to their hysterical delight, the cats appeared by licking away to reveal themselves.
—Standish Lawder

http://www.emaf.de/emaf.de/fileadmin/2011/pdf/EMAF_Retrospektive.pdf <http://www.emaf.de/emaf.de/fileadmin/2011/pdf/EMAF_Retrospektive.pdf>