[Frameworks] Multi-channel video tech requirements

k. a.r. a_r_k_ at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 11 18:57:54 UTC 2015

Zach that is a pretty complicated way of doing this, there are easier ways.......

To: frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 13:34:43 -0400
From: z at zachpoff.com
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Multi-channel video tech requirements

Zach here (responding to the digest so apologies if I missed some of the newer emails).

My MultiScreener software hasn't been updated in awhile, but seems to work fine on the machines I've tested recently. I would recommend it for people who already have a bunch of computers. However it's much easier and more reliable to use a BrightSign HD222 or older HD220 player for each channel (About $300-$350 each). They play directly from SD cards using a simple text script for setup. No daily startup/shutdown rituals required and no risk of some stupid MacOS software update notice appearing in the middle of your show!

Feel free to try MultiScreener. There is a guide on the site with full setup details. You can run multiple channels on one computer. It's clumsy but it has worked well in practice. I modern Mac Mini would probably keep 2x 1080p videos in sync, but test everything to find out. I listed lots of similar software on the Multiscreener page.

http://www.zachpoff.com/software/multiscreener/

(One note: There are some Applescripts in the MultiScreener download that were compiled in the Pre-Intel Mac days, so they need to be opened in Script Editor and re-saved.)

http://www.zachpoff.com/software/brightsign-video-sync-scripts/

Feel free to get in touch via email if you have specific questions.

-Zach