[Frameworks] Noren

Scott MacDonald smacdona at hamilton.edu
Thu Jun 11 23:41:08 UTC 2015

*The first Noren film I ever saw was THE WIND VARIATIONS, a lovely, serene
study of light and shadow and the motion of a light summer breeze on a
window curtain. We were at the Whitney, in that amazingly uncomfortable
little theater, and part way through the short film (18 minutes, silent)
some members of the small audience begin grousing: "What's the point of
this!"--stuff  like that. Someone else speaks up, "Shut up! If you don't
like the film, leave--we want to enjoy it!" "DON'T TELL ME TO SHUT UP--I
paid to get in here like everyone else." It went on.*

*This was back in the day, the Seventies--when everyone spoke up to tell
everyone else what they liked and didn't like. There was something
sublimely funny about this ever-so-quiet film creating a brouhaha. *

*I remember the film, and that experience, fondly.*

*It's great to hear that some of the Noren prints are in good shape. Let's
hope HUGE PUPILS finds its way back into circulation.*
*Scott *