[Frameworks] Musical Noir?

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 05:08:03 UTC 2015

For me, the greatest noir music scene ever made is this famous one from Bela Tarr’s Damnation, which isn’t even a noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NGzMM45A8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NGzMM45A8>

And because I watched it again last night, I’d like to mention the scene in Hitchcock’s Secret Agent, with Swiss folk singers swirling coins in porcelain milk bowls. It has nothing to do with noir, but it is absolutely inspired sound design — a haunting, ethereal atmosphere for espionage. An opposite effect in the same film is the nerve-wracking sustained tone from a pipe organ. Hitch was on a roll in this under-appreciated gem from 1936.