[Frameworks] Howard Guttenplan (April 6th, 1934 - February 23rd, 2015)

Cari Machet carimachet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:09:33 UTC 2015

thanks for posting this i am out of new york traveling extensively so i was
not aware of his transformation

brahkage always showed there when in nyc - not the archive - that says a
lot i think

i remember howard also had great photo exhibits

when i showed my only really long film there to not that large of an
audience i apologized to him and he said - better to have a film with
substance with a few people seeing it - its similar to what su fredrick
says - she would rather have her work seen by people that can get it than
the masses that cannot

i am not sure i agree with them i think underground film can plant seeds
that shift the consciousness of the masses but i think they were also
discussing the ideal of making your own work no matter what - having your
own voice in the face of anything - people not coming to your film
screenings or people rejecting your voice out of their 'own' largely
academic & capitalistic market constraints

it takes a immeasurable amount of knowingness to stand as yourself against
such bitter winds

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:56 AM, David Baker <dbaker1 at hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> Howard Guttenplan and the Millennium Film Workshop will be forever
> inextricably linked.
> With absolute devotion until the very end, Howard dedicated his energy and
> expertise to keeping the Millennium going.
> With inexplicable grace he withstood the recent indignities he was made to
> suffer.
> During his tenure as Executive Director, Howard single handedly
> demonstrated acute discernment
> in his "Personal Cinema" programs which made a place for the most
> accomplished and celebrated film artists
> to project their work in close proximity with totally unknown makers of
> consequence.
> In a kind of fearless visionary egalitarianism Howard insisted on a
> monthly Open Screening program
> which functioned as an important portal for the self-taught, socially
> misaligned and/or politically maladroit outsider
> to be discovered and to assimilate into the experimental film community
> regardless of resume or lack thereof.
> Howard's Millennium was open to both the big fish and the little fish, the
> somebody's and the nobody's
> in vibrant aesthetic exchange.
> His great love was not film per se but the continuum of the experimental
> film medium,
> the linked progression of forms from one artist to another over time,
> with invention and innovation as its most telling attribute.
> The Millennium Film Workshop Archives will testify abundantly to the
> astonishing procession of makers
> who made this love manifest. Howard welcomed and treated each of these
> artists with uncommon respect.
> Howard's own film oeuvre is a shining example of what is possible
> when one is totally dedicated to a highly evolved form of truth and beauty.
> In all these ways he changed my life.
>
> -DB

Cari Machet
NYC 646-436-7795
carimachet at gmail.com
AIM carismachet
Syria +963-099 277 3243
Amman +962 077 636 9407
Berlin +49 152 11779219
Reykjavik +354 894 8650
Twitter: @carimachet <https://twitter.com/carimachet>

7035 690E 5E47 41D4 B0E5 B3D1 AF90 49D6 BE09 2187

Ruh-roh, this is now necessary: This email is intended only for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this
information, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email without
permission is strictly prohibited.