[Frameworks] Montreal Microcinemas

William Wees, Dr. william.wees at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 13 22:56:34 UTC 2015

Claude Chamberlan was the guiding force behind the creation and operation of Cinema Parallele. And for a number of years he has been the head honcho at Le Festival de Nouveau Cinema. Perhaps he could guide you to archival material dealing with Cinema Parallele. You should be able to reach him via the FNC website.

I spent many an evening at Cinema Parallele, and still have vivid memories of some events, such as Ken Jacobs presenting, with limited success, one of his early 3-D performances, and Kenneth Anger, wearing a hockey sweater with "Anger" across the front, presenting something, I don't remember what. Anger was the show. Cinema Parallel, fronted by Café Melies, was the place to go for experimental/avant-garde film beginning somewhere in the mid-late 1970s until somewhere in the late '80s. Unfortunately, I don't have anything relevant to your research. I hope Claude can help you. It's possible that La Cinemateque Quebecoise has archival material of use to you. It's worth a try.

Good luck.

--Bill Wees