[Frameworks] Formula for processing 7240 reversal as vhf or e6?

Kevin Rice kevin at processreversal.org
Sat Mar 14 16:28:33 UTC 2015

Robbie,

Here are the specifications for VFN-1, as published by Kodak:
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_support_processing_h2411_h2411.pdf

If you refer to pages 23-25, you'll find the formulas for the first
developer and color developer, which are the critical components (on the
processing side) that will determine the overall hue and saturation of the
image. Also, please note that the module gives two alternative formulas
appended with the abbreviation "LC" which stands for Low Contrast (so,
probably want to avoid those formulas).

The first developer is a very straightforward PQ developer with added
thiocyanate; you shouldn't have any difficulties finding these ingredients,
with the exception of the sequestering agent (Quadrafos). However, by using
distilled water to mix the developer, you can avoid the use of this
ingredient...

The color developer, on the other hand, is a bit more complex to mix from
scratch. However, since it's purpose is just to act as a redeveloper of the
residual halides, it can be replaced with any other developer that retains
the same color developing agent (i.e CD3). This includes ECN developer (not
C-41) as well as the color developer in E6. The formula for ECN developer
can be found here:
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_support_processing_h247_h2407.pdf

Bleach and fix are the same for all color processes -- Just use what's most
readily available to you, or mix a simple ferricyanide bleach (15.0g
Potassium Bromide / 15.0g Potassium Ferricyanide / Dilute to 1 Liter) and
then use that in conjunction with any fix -- B/W or otherwise...

As for altering the process to get higher contrast or color, you can try
experimenting with the first developer. For instance, you could increase
the ratio of hydroquinone to phenidone, or increase the alkalinity of the
developer...you could also use there "LC" formulas to interpolate a
possible equation for increasing the contrast....

Anyway, hope this helps,

Kevin Rice
processreversal.org
pcn03031989.com