[Frameworks] 2. Re: What are the 3 Essential Films that you would show Artists on their first foray into the Moving Image Realm ?

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Mon Mar 30 06:22:04 UTC 2015

I did find, in conducting a bunch of oral histories, that three films came
up multiple times as films that inspired people into making experimental
films.

No surprises:
Meshes of the Afternoon
A Movie
Blood of a Poet

I think the importance of Blood of a Poet cannot be underestimated.

So although I think there are no shortage of ³essential² films, and many
more films that influenced people to pursue this type of film art, I can
suggest that for at least a generation of folks from the late 1940s through
the mid-1960s, those three seem to be essential, and should still be part of
any education.