[Frameworks] Andrew Noren

Felix Garcia fgvr2003 at hotmail.com
Mon May 25 14:19:25 UTC 2015

MoMA
:)

Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 16:10:20 +0200
From: elenaduque at gmail.com
To: frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Andrew Noren

Chuck, I saw Charmed Particles (in 16mm)  last year in the CCCB in Barcelona, Spain, but I don't know the procedence of the print. I can ask them, although I am sure that there must be some "frameworker" out there that knows better where to find it!Best, Elena
Those of us who were there at the time can recall the excitement when a new film by Andrew was released. We anticipated them almost like we did the next Brakhage or Godard. Scott or Dominic will know better than I when and why Andrew took the films out of distribution, but when I realized I could no longer show these masterpieces to my students I began hounding him to get them restored. At first he said he intended to do that, but it never happened. In some cases, like Huge Pupils, the excuse was the explicit sex. That was really disappointing to hear, given that he was, on that level, in the vanguard of the still-meaningful cinema of transgression. I last saw him more than five years ago when he came to Santa Fe in search of a place to  move to. He was suffering from early stages of rheumatoid arthritis, so it is doubly saddening to learn that, on top of that, he finally succumbed to cancer. Andrew was a highly intelligent, discerning and quietly passionate human being. His interview with Scott is one of the most eloquent of them all. I’m sure Mark Toscano would give anything to get his hands on those magisterial works of art. I am forever grateful for their presence in our lives.

FrameWorks at jonasmekasfilms.com

Elena Duque Viña
Telf: (+34) 605431072
elenaduque at gmail.com