[Frameworks] Andrew Noren

Rick Prelinger footage at panix.com
Mon May 25 18:17:52 UTC 2015

When I first walked into the Sherman Grinberg Film Library in the old Film Center Building at 630 9th Avenue in the fall of 1983, I was quite surprised when I was introduced to Andrew Noren, one of the librarians in that strange place. I couldn't quite put together my emerging life as a business-focused archival film researcher with my past watching ag/experimental films under semi-utopian conditions in California, but Andrew confirmed that he was indeed the filmmaker whose work had left such a strong impression before going into the vaults to pick out a few cans of nitrate neg for me to put on the Moviola flatbed. I recall that he pulled the Paramount newsreel neg for me showing Fiorello LaGuardia reading the comics over the radio during the 1945 newspaper strike. In retrospect I can see how working with nitrate in his day job may have influenced his sensibility.

Rick

Rick Prelinger / @footage
Prelinger Archives, San Francisco    http://www.prelinger.com
footage at panix.com

Associate Professor, Film & Digital Media, UC Santa Cruz
rick at ucsc.edu

Prelinger Library (http://www.prelingerlibrary.org), a member of the Intersection Incubator, a program of Intersection for the Arts providing fiscal sponsorship, incubation and consulting to artists (http://www.theintersection.org).